Assigning VoIP Phone to New VLAN but Port Won't Give it IP Address

SOLVED
jared721
Here to help

Assigning VoIP Phone to New VLAN but Port Won't Give it IP Address

Hello! I am relatively new to Meraki, still getting used to how it all works.

We are likely going to be implementing VoIP phones at my organization, and I created a new VLAN for these VoIP phones to be connected to. This VLAN is VLAN 4, on a subnet of 192.168.129.0/24. I configured a DHCP server for this VLAN to assign IP addresses from a pool.

I connected the VoIP phone to a port that originally was configured for VLAN 2, on the subnet of 192.168.127.0/24. I switched this port's native VLAN to 4, and all VLAN's are allowed on it.

The problem I am having is that the VoIP phone cannot connect to the Internet, as it does not get assigned an IP address for VLAN 4 from the 192.168.129.0/24 subnet. The port continues to have an IP address from the 192.168.127.0/24 or VLAN 2 subnet.

Any idea why this might be happening? Thanks in advance for the advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jared721
Here to help

I looked into the DHCP problem more and it looks like the uplink on one of the switches wasn't configured to allow the Voice VLAN through. It seems to be working now.

Thank you everyone for your help!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
CameronS
Getting noticed

Hi Jared,

Best practice would be to have the port as an 'access' port.

Type: Access

Access VLAN: 2

Voice VLAN: 4

Therefore, you can plug a device into the passthrough to get a VLAN 2 address, whilst the phone picks up the VLAN 4 address. 

Hello, thanks for the info. I changed the port as you mentioned, but the phone still doesn't seem to be able to obtain an IP address. Any other thoughts? Thanks for your help!

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What is your Ip phone model? Have you tested It with a notebook?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have you tested your DHCP server?  How do you know that it works?

Is the DHCP server in the phone VLAN, or in a different VLAN?

I hadn't tested it, no... but I have now and it isn't working. Not sure why the DHCP server isn't assigning an IP address because I have configured it the same way as our other VLANs (unless I'm missing something).

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I would cycle the port which if the phone is POE will reboot the phone but as suggested already test using a laptop or something first to make sure your DHCP is working. 

jared721
Here to help

To answer a few of the replies here, I tested to see if the DHCP server is actually working, and it isn't. I have configured it the same way as I have for my other VLANs (unless I'm missing a difference somewhere).

Any ideas? Appreciate the help!

Have you configured the DHCP relay on Svi? Who is your default gateway and dhcp server?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
jared721
Here to help

I looked into the DHCP problem more and it looks like the uplink on one of the switches wasn't configured to allow the Voice VLAN through. It seems to be working now.

Thank you everyone for your help!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.