Configuring IP addresses before they're online?

Solved
JorgeQ
New here

Configuring IP addresses before they're online?

Hi team!

I'm new to Meraki, and I have a question for you.

In order to get my access points online I need to assign them IP addresses, but as far as I can tell I have to have them online to configure them.

Is there any way I can configure a device’s IP address before they are online?

Thanks!

Jorge

1 Accepted Solution
KathleenJ
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Thanks for choosing Meraki! You absolutely can configure your access point with a static IP even though you don't have internet connection to the Meraki cloud.

The first thing to do is provide power to your MR (Meraki Access Point) by connecting it either to a PoE injector or to a switch with a PoE port. Next connect to the SSID called "meraki-setup." Connect to this SSID and then open a browser window to navigate to ap.meraki.com. This will take you to the local status page. Select the configure tab and you will be asked for a username (this is the serial number of the AP and needs to be all caps with dashes) and password which is blank. After you have entered this you will be able to configure a static IP address on your MR.

If you are unable to connect following these steps please take a look at the KB article listed below for additional access configurations. https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Tools_and_Troubleshooting/Using_the_Cisco_Me...

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
KathleenJ
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Thanks for choosing Meraki! You absolutely can configure your access point with a static IP even though you don't have internet connection to the Meraki cloud.

The first thing to do is provide power to your MR (Meraki Access Point) by connecting it either to a PoE injector or to a switch with a PoE port. Next connect to the SSID called "meraki-setup." Connect to this SSID and then open a browser window to navigate to ap.meraki.com. This will take you to the local status page. Select the configure tab and you will be asked for a username (this is the serial number of the AP and needs to be all caps with dashes) and password which is blank. After you have entered this you will be able to configure a static IP address on your MR.

If you are unable to connect following these steps please take a look at the KB article listed below for additional access configurations. https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Tools_and_Troubleshooting/Using_the_Cisco_Me...

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.

Thank you, @KathleenJ! That did the trick. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.