Which Appliance to use for VLAN

SOLVED
Rod
Here to help

Which Appliance to use for VLAN

Hi everyone! I am new to the community. Full disclosure; I don't believe I have ever registered to a blog/community board in my past. This approach will be a first for me. 

I will keep my question very simple. I recently purchased the MX84 (router/security) and MS225 (switch) and am trying to identify which hardware should manage my VLAN's and DHCP. Looks like both are capable of handling the task. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Welcome to the forums @Rod, as others have already mentioned the MX is your best option for setting up your VLANs and DHCP. My reasons for this are below but these are based on a small network if you are building a large L3 network I would suggest doing this on your core switch

1. You are less likely to reboot an MX unit than a switch which means DHCP leases aren't going to be affected.

2. If you add multiple switches you might not always have every VLAN going everywhere and having DHCP on a switch in this instance could get messy. 

3. Its easy to remember, the switches to the switching and the MX does your DHCP, VLANS and routing. 

As I said above though if your network is going to be a resonable sized network I would setup everything on a core switch. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

I would recommend using the MX personally.
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

Thanks, Nolan. If you don't mind me asking, why would you recommend the MX over the switch? 

Nick
Head in the Cloud

In that instance I would go for the MX as well.

Its easier to manage and control the setup, from the kit you have it seems that its likely you won't doing a lot of switching? Will there be heavy inter VLAN traffic?

Oh and welcome 🙂 I am normally the same, but this community is knowledgeable and friendly with a good sense of humour as well. So it can't be bad!

Welcome to the forums @Rod, as others have already mentioned the MX is your best option for setting up your VLANs and DHCP. My reasons for this are below but these are based on a small network if you are building a large L3 network I would suggest doing this on your core switch

1. You are less likely to reboot an MX unit than a switch which means DHCP leases aren't going to be affected.

2. If you add multiple switches you might not always have every VLAN going everywhere and having DHCP on a switch in this instance could get messy. 

3. Its easy to remember, the switches to the switching and the MX does your DHCP, VLANS and routing. 

As I said above though if your network is going to be a resonable sized network I would setup everything on a core switch. 

I would choose to use the MX if the inter-vlan bandwidth requirements are low.  If the intervlan-bandwidth requirements are high I would use the MS225.

Nash
Kind of a big deal

@PhilipDAth's got the same logic my company uses. If there's not a lot of inter-VLAN talk, MX is fine. If there's a significant amount of traffic, L3 goes into the core switches.

Rod
Here to help

Thanks, Nick...

You are correct. This will be my only physical switch. As for VLAN's, I have configured 4 thus far; 1st for our lab, 2nd for VoIP, 3rd for our office suite and the 4th for our Surveillance\DVR setup. I am planning on keeping all of my Meraki devices (router, switch & AP) on the default VLAN (1 - Lab) with static IP's assigned. Today's traffic is not so heavy, but the prediction is for volume to increase within months - hopefully : ) 

Rod
Here to help

Thank you to everybody on this thread...your recommendations are steady. I took everyone’s advise and configured the MX to manage VLAN’s and DHCP. Very impressed with the support in this community. My network is not big by any means but I still have quite a bit of work ahead of me. I will definitely keep this community in mind for other potential roadblocks.  

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.