VLANS and me

Richard_W
A model citizen

VLANS and me

Hello Peoples way smarter than I.

Heres what I'm trying to achieve: VLANS for groups, all access to a Synology, VoIP with mixed WiFi and wired clients, bonjour discovery for AppleTVs.

Equipement: MX84, 2xMS210-48, 3xMR42

Right now I've figured out the VoIP, but I'm a little confused on how to proceed with establishing VLANs for at least three defined groups but allow each to be able to Airplay and access the Synology.

Right now most if not all stuff is on VLAN 1 bar the VoIP phones (which I'm guessing is not the best) so a simple baby step would be to put all computers on a New VLAN. But the confusion I have is access to the Synology and Airplay. The Synology is at the moment connected to the MX. The VLAN per port seems to be obvious but less so on WiFi.

Most of my client machines are Macs with a small number of PC's.

I'm just looking for some best practices and a better understanding of this VLAN interoperability.

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

If you have all VLANs setup on the MX. It should do the inter-VLAN routing for you. 

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Networks_and_Routing/Configuring_VLANs_on_the_MX_Security_Applia...

This should help you get a better understanding. 

Enthusiast

This document is a great help in understanding vlans, thanks for posting.

Erling
Comes here often

After adding the different vlans, you must setup the bonjour forwarding service to get airplay to work.

This can be done under security and sd-wan - Firewall

From my experience, you would also have to set it up on the wlan ssid, where you have to enable bonjour forwarding.

And trunk port the switches to the MX, and the MR's? Access for all else yeah.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.