Switch was detected that improperly forwards LLDP Packets

Mike_Rapp
Getting noticed

Switch was detected that improperly forwards LLDP Packets

We have one network with two switches plugged directly into the firewall Mx84. Upon looking at the topology for this network, there is a red diamond on the leg to the second switch. The message, when the cursor is hovered over it is, "A switch was detected that improperly forwards LLDP packets. This can cause your network topoplogy to be incomplete or incorrect." 

I read somewhere that you should not connect more than one switch to the firewall, and that switches should be connected to each other. Is this correct? Also how do I solve this issue. 

Thanks in advance.Topology.JPG

24 REPLIES 24
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This usually means there is a dumb layer 2 switch in the mix somewhere.

Yes as Phil mentioned you either have something between the MX and MS unit. If not try rebooting them both and see if it comes right. If that doesn't work Open a support case.

Just another quick thought you haven't recently added the MS unit on the link thats reporting the error have you? it could simply be the dashboard hasn't updated yet. 

The MS unit was there prior to adding the second switch that is giving the error

Jarno_H
Just browsing

Do you have pair of MX's and are those directly connected together with cable? Recommended topology is that there is not direct connection between MX's. https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Deployment_Guides/MX_Warm_Spare_-_High_Availability_Pair#Fully_R...)

wey2go
Getting noticed

Hi #Mike_Rapp! Did you solve this?

wey2go
Getting noticed

I am seeing similar thing on my network:

Meraki Topology.PNG

Does Sonos devices caused STP issues since they are connected via ethernet and also WiFi?

GaryShainberg
Building a reputation

Hi there all,

I have just done a virgin install of an MX84, MS120/24 and MS120/8 and am seeing the same error / issue, I have no dumb switches or anything else in the mix, thoughts would be appreciated.

Screenshot 2019-02-08 at 10.24.54.png

CTO & Solutioneer
CMNA, CMNO, ECMS2
SNSA, SNSP
~~If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.~~
xandurr
Here to help

I have the same issue.

I have Three MS120 Switches connected to the MX84.

And the red diamond moves between them when i refresh the screen!

Two screenshots below for reference.

Im thinking this means that the MX does not like having multiple MS120 switches connected to it perhaps?

2019-02-21 09_49_25-Meraki Dashboard.png

2019-02-21 09_51_20-Meraki Dashboard.png

Stefan
Conversationalist

Hello,

could you solve the issue in your installation?

I‘m facing the same with a MX84.

Kind regards,

Stefan

me too

I did indeed solve mine.

I put a pair of MS210 switches in the mix acting as Agg Switches in a Physical Stack.

Now i get a consistent topology page with no LLDP errors.

The main thing i dont like now, is that it makes it look like the MX device is downstream of the switch stack instead of being upstream of the switch stack.

But apart from that, no issues

Topology.png

CharlesIsWorkin
Building a reputation

I have the same issue. What up w/ that? There is an MX84 as the gateway and 3x MS-220-48fp...

Network Topology - ver3.png

Same issue a year later. 🙂

Reading down this thread, again, I am surprised someone from @Meraki has not picked this up and given some explanation as to what causes the "red triangle" and in what conditions it appears.

I would like to think that whoever wrote the code for this UI would know what they did to trigger the icon.

Lets hope we can get a definitive answer @CarolineS could you point this in the direction of support ?

-Gary

CTO & Solutioneer
CMNA, CMNO, ECMS2
SNSA, SNSP
~~If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.~~
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I've long given up with the topology diagram, it always has ghost devices and at one of our sites three separate red diamonds that are all the same Cisco switch stack.  We even get it at pure Meraki sites, as you have 🤔

I have the same problem, It’s a know BPDU issue on MX’s as the ports do not participate in BPDU election. Switches must be aggregated into a Layer 3 MS Switch, which in turn is connected into MX. I am not buying a L3 switch just for a topology map.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Networks_and_Routing/MX_Layer_2_Functionality

CharlesIsWorkin
Building a reputation

But my setup is an MX84 connected to an MS switch, with two MS switches connected to that main one.

Exactly The MS220 family provides layer 2 access switching and is ideal for deploying to branch locations

You would need Layer 3 on MS320 series extends routing down to the network edge.

CharlesIsWorkin
Building a reputation

Ok I see what you mean. And the MX84 should play along well with MS320's? Not that I'm upgrading, but just thinking about it.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The main requirement is that the switch connected to the MX needs to be in routing mode, an MS210, MS225 or any MS3/4 should do.

Exactly, the MX would have to be routed to a L3 switch. for me its not worth the upgrade just for a topology map I do not have any loops in my L2 setup.

CharlesIsWorkin
Building a reputation

Yep, I agree. I don't have any loops either.

I got MX84>MS220>2xMS220>MR's and wired.

Thanks for clearing that up for me!

Would it be worth it to turn off the RSTP?

lol, I pulled my finger out today and added L3 Netgear switch off the MX I had, its a lot easier with IOS CLI (a reboot fixed it)

NeildSb_0-1614805481705.png

no, scratch my previous update, Meraki does not play nice with non-meraki equipment, you have no control over LLDP on Meraki equipment unlike a less sophisticated Netgear Pro device???

NeildSb_0-1614933478439.pngNeildSb_1-1614933537111.png

NeildSb_2-1614933606148.png

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.