cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optimizing Network Design with underpowered gear.

SOLVED
LB3
Conversationalist

Optimizing Network Design with underpowered gear.

We have a large client that had a limited budget so the switches purchased are not idea for a client their size and the industry they are in but the Cap Ex hit is making us implement and design with what they have.

The client has:

(2) MX84
(7) MS120-48LP 

(1) MS120-24LP

(12) AP's

With the MS120's only supporting Virtual Stacking what is the best way to design the network with redundancy in mind.

My thought is to designate two of the switches as uplink/distribution type switches and uplink each additional switch to those with one port in each and then have the two "distribution" switches uplink to both MX's individually?

Any thoughts or suggestions? Am I overcomplicating the setup?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kind of a big deal

Re: Optimizing Network Design with underpowered gear.

I would make two of the switches a core switches.

I would connect MX1 to core switch1, and MX2 to core switch2.  I would not dual connect the MX's.  There are two many issues around spanning tree.

I would make core switch1 have a spanning tree priority of 0.  I would make core switch2 have a spanning tree priority of 4096.

Then you can dual connect every other switch to the two core switches.

3 REPLIES 3
Kind of a big deal

I would make two of the switches a core switches.

I would connect MX1 to core switch1, and MX2 to core switch2.  I would not dual connect the MX's.  There are two many issues around spanning tree.

I would make core switch1 have a spanning tree priority of 0.  I would make core switch2 have a spanning tree priority of 4096.

Then you can dual connect every other switch to the two core switches.

LB3
Conversationalist

Thanks! Sounds good, but in this setup what's the best way to handle the handoff.  I have a /29.

If I connect MX1 to Core Switch 1, and MX2 to Core Switch 2 could/should I still setup the MX's in a master/passive setup with a VIP between the two?

Highlighted
Kind of a big deal

Yes I would use a warm spare configuration for the MX.

Unless you have a seperate external switch, you'll need to put 3 ports into a seperate VLAN.  I would make them all access ports.  Then plug in your ISP, and WAN1 of your two MX.

Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.