Meraki Insights back-end technology

SOLVED
Gary_Geihsler
Conversationalist

Meraki Insights back-end technology

Does anyone have any information as to what back-end technologies are powering Meraki Insights? Seems like it might be some of the Viptela integration bleeding over maybe? There is not a lot information I could find out there yet. Tahnks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi @Gary_Geihsler, no, MI was not adapted from Viptela but built from the ground up within the Meraki ecosystem.  So there's nothing to install (even on the back end), except that the MX appliance is used as a "collector" to gather the data, and the cloud does the heavy lifting from there and provides the analysis of the LAN, WAN, ISP, client/server stats with retrospection.  The data is based on end-user HTTP/S data, so there's no need for synthetic probes, and MI leverages the MX’s deep packet inspection that's already happening, so MI really has no performance impact on the MX itself.  Hope that helps!  Sorry if I misunderstood the question.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi @Gary_Geihsler, no, MI was not adapted from Viptela but built from the ground up within the Meraki ecosystem.  So there's nothing to install (even on the back end), except that the MX appliance is used as a "collector" to gather the data, and the cloud does the heavy lifting from there and provides the analysis of the LAN, WAN, ISP, client/server stats with retrospection.  The data is based on end-user HTTP/S data, so there's no need for synthetic probes, and MI leverages the MX’s deep packet inspection that's already happening, so MI really has no performance impact on the MX itself.  Hope that helps!  Sorry if I misunderstood the question.

@MerakiDave This is great information. We had this question from a partner recently on this exact concern and could not find any published documentation about it.

RECOMMENDATION:

Please add this performance impact information to the FAQ section of the "MI Application Analytics" document: https://documentation.meraki.com/MI/MI_Application_Analytics

I would also like to recommend that the FAQ section (at the very bottom of this document) be broken out to it's own FAQ document for easy reference.

Thanks,

-Dan

Hi @DanStewart,

Added 2 questions to the FAQ, using @MerakiDave's wording:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MI/MI_Application_Analytics#What_back-end_technology_is_MI_built_on...

https://documentation.meraki.com/MI/MI_Application_Analytics#How_does_MI_impact_the_performance_of_t...

Thanks for the suggestion.

Regarding splitting the FAQ: The FAQ is in the same article because we're working hard to make sure all information relevant to a specific concept can be found in the same place. Then you know all available information either does or does not exist based on whether it's exactly where it should be.

If we get more feedback that this is affecting readability, I'll revise it and split these. I appreciate the recommendation.

Cameron Moody | Product Manager, Cisco Meraki
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.