Limit Client Bandwidth for internal Local LAN traffic?

kredmore
Getting noticed

Limit Client Bandwidth for internal Local LAN traffic?

Is this possible within Dashboard?  Just like limiting per client bandwidth for internet access up/down, I want to limit internal traffic not going through an MX.  I can't see a way to do it (searched dashboard, documentation, this community, etc.), say to limit client devices bandwidth when doing backups to local server drives.

10 REPLIES 10
MilesMeraki
Head in the Cloud

Can this not be achieved by using Group Policies within dashboard with traffic shaping rules, using custom expressions and assigning these directly to the clients. 

For this to work though, the clients would have to be connected via an MR access point if not transversing via an MX.

Have a read of this document which outlines group policies and the requirements in more detail -  https://documentation.meraki.com/MX-Z/Group_Policies_and_Blacklisting/Creating_and_Applying_Group_Po...

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)

Thanks for the suggestion.

Right, you can setup group policies, but as far as I can tell (and via documentation), setting the per-client bandwidth within the policy traffic shaping rules still only applies to up/down internet traffic, not internal LAN traffic.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Assuming we are talking about cabled connections here, no - apart from lowering the port connection speeds (e,g. lower to 100Mb/s).

Thanks.  I thought about the port speeds - that's  a partial option.  Also have some wireless clients too.

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

maybe you can use qos in your network to prefer some traffic over the default based on your server/backup ip's/ports.

DCooper
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Are you referring to Meraki Switching or Wireless? If wireless are you in NAT/Bridge or L3?

Where is the L3 performed at?

There is a way to now do this in certain designs.

Switching, L3 at MX currently. 

What is the way?

DCooper
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Sorry for the delay.  Switches do not support policy, therefore there is no shaping beyond COS from switch to switch on the same VLAN. If your communicating to different vlans in your environment where the L3 is at the MX, you will traverse the MX where it can now be enforced.

ok, thank you.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.