I manage Meraki's corporate networks. Ask me anything.

SOLVED
chilsenbeck
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

I manage Meraki's corporate networks. Ask me anything.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
CarolineS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Locking this thread; if you have questions specific for Meraki's head of IT, Chris (@chilsenbeck), feel free to start a new topic and @mention him!

Caroline S | Community Manager, Cisco Meraki
New to the community? Get started here

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are you a bot?

chilsenbeck
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

nope! I am a person. I've been at Meraki for 7 years and run internal IT operations.
Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

Hi

I am struggling to get Chromecast working casting from a smartphone that is attached to an SSID that is not on the same VLAN as the wired Chromecast device. Works fine when they are on the same VLAN, but even following Google's instructions and setting up some ACL entries, along with activating Rendezvous, I am getting nowhere. Do any of the gnomes cast?

This is a bigger problem than just streaming music or radio, most of the home "smart" devices and much of the IOT kit is not secure so it has to be on a VLAN of its own.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
chilsenbeck
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

we're working on a new streaming device called Gnomecast- stay tuned! 

What is the deepest you stack your switches? 

I'm using Meraki MX to manage security on my network in conjunction with Umbrella / OpenDNS. When Umbrella throws off an alert about a device doing something funky, why can't I easily tie that to the activity from a device within my network via the Meraki dashboard? I read something about needing not one, but two VMs to do this...

Or am I missing something??

@chilsenbeck wrote:

we're working on a new streaming device called Gnomecast- stay tuned! 

Image result for Gnomecast

I searched Gnomecast and found this . . .

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

What kind of Meraki hardware do you guys deploy? Care to share the non-Meraki stuff too? 

Do you use Auto VPN between the offices? 

How do you guys handle WiFi auth? 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
chilsenbeck
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

We're full stack Meraki (obviously). UCS servers, and some various ISR/ASA/Catalyst stuff at datacenters. Big fan of AutoVPN at all our sites- we even drive some voice and TP traffic over VPN.

WIFI auth is cert based Radius (AD).
EricWenger
Here to help

User complains that he cannot use Steam for gaming on the network due to security controls I have in place via Meraki. I look in the Firewall. I see there is a simple way to block Steam under the gaming controls at Layer 7. Is there an equally easy way to allow?

@EricWenger you could whitelist the user if you don't want them to have any restrictions.

I don't know 'bout that!

I'm not interested in a free-for-all. But just curious. How would Meraki know the user. My users authenticate to devices that are on my network. They don't authenticate to Meraki...do they?
chilsenbeck
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

@EricWenger wrote:
I'm not interested in a free-for-all. But just curious. How would Meraki know the user. My users authenticate to devices that are on my network. They don't authenticate to Meraki...do they?

Check out this guide for whitelisting clients:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX-Z/Group_Policies_and_Blacklisting/Blocking_and_Whitelisting_Clie...

CarolineS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Locking this thread; if you have questions specific for Meraki's head of IT, Chris (@chilsenbeck), feel free to start a new topic and @mention him!

Caroline S | Community Manager, Cisco Meraki
New to the community? Get started here
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.