How to Import big list of Client MAC Address

MichelRueger
Building a reputation

How to Import big list of Client MAC Address

Hi All,

I am search for a solution to import a big amount of Clients with there Mac Address to Withelist them for any Splash Page.

If you go to Network-wide Client there is the possibility to export them to Excel. but no Way hoe to import. I also tried to find a solution true Postman by API but didn't find a way.

Does anybody has a Idea how to do this?

Thanks for any Help on this

8 REPLIES 8
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

I don't see any option for the import of clients. The single add option on the client page though specifies that it is for clients that have not connected.

So it might be easier to change the policy of the clients after they join, just a few clicks etc.

I was going to suggest doing this via API

PUT /networks/[id]/clients/[mac]/policy

{
"mac": "00:11:22:33:44:55",
"type": "Group policy",
"groupPolicyId": 101
}

However you'd have to most likely develop a python script to do this, and even you did, I believe Meraki limits the API. "Call volume is limited to 5 calls per second (per organization)"

So you would have to find a way to delay the calls, so it would only do a couple every second.

Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

Hi Nolan,

Your API Call is just working if this MAC Adress already connected once to the Network. IF you add a MAC witch has never connected to the Network you get:

{
"errors": [
"Client not found"
]
}

Oh well that's lame. Thanks for letting us know 😃
TwitterLinkedIn
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

How are you authenticating (if you are even authenticating) the splash page users?

If you use radius, you could return the group policy to use dynamically.

MichelRueger
Building a reputation

Hi all,

I have to Challenge, first there will be a SSID Called "Public". I have a list of 280 Mac Address of IPAD witch will connect to this SSID but don't need to see the Splash Page. This Means there are WhiteListed! But i only can add this Clients MAC in advanced on by one true the Dashboard. This takes for Ever 😞 so i was looking for a better solution doing this.

Second: I have a other List of around 180 MAC Address witch will connect to a second SSID called 1:1 with only this mac addresses have the right to connect, and if one of this MAC gets connected it should ask for Username and Password from a Active directory Server.

Is their any chance you could get Meraki systems manager, and use certificate based authentication (on a dedicated SSID)?

For the time it is going to take you to set this up and manage it - you could pay for many months of using Systems manager.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Encryption_and_Authentication/Certificate-based_WiFi_authenticat...

MichelRueger
Building a reputation

Hi All,

I just found out that sometimes the solution is closer as you think 🙂

If you go to Network-Wide --> Clients you can click on add Client on the right side and Add a client Name and MAC and even put him on the Withelist. And if you look close you see the remark one MAC per LINE 🙂

Bildschirmfoto 2018-11-28 um 16.50.34.png

in This way a could import all Mac Addresses the only thing is that all Client have the same name 🙂 but this not as important.

Awesome. Not sure how I didn't see that fine print lol

What if you leave the name blank since it says it is optional. I would imagine then it will grab the hostname the client presents like normal.
TwitterLinkedIn
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.