Group Policy Scheduling Options

SOLVED
FritzG
Conversationalist

Group Policy Scheduling Options

Is there any way to set up dis-contiguous schedules for applying group policies? 

All I seem to be able to do is to pick from "A-to-B" hours for each day of the week and that's it. 

What I want to do is set up a schedule where the policy applies only during certain hours of a day (i.e. 12AM-6AM, 9AM-5PM, 8PM-11PM) but also different hours depending on the day of the week (and not just weekdays vs weekends).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I would say make a wish, but there is already a feature request in the system for this.  Make a wish anyway.  I would make a more complete write-up of your use case and get it to your Cisco/Meraki team to add it to the FR for the UI team to review. 

The only workaround I could think of for now is to leverage the API to script time-based changes to update the group policies for the clients.  So you could have a 12-6 policy, 9-5 policy, and 8-11 policy, which could all be the same or different, no matter, and at the appropriate 3 times of the day, iterate through the clients and assign them to a group policy.  But that's an awful lot of API calls if you have a lot of clients.  I do not (yet) see the API endpoint for updating GP, only listing them. 

Sorry but at least for now, the GP schedule is only on/off once per day and right now no way to schedule multiple discontiguous time windows.  Having different on/off hours on the weekend is supported and simple, but again only one on/off window per day.  

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I would say make a wish, but there is already a feature request in the system for this.  Make a wish anyway.  I would make a more complete write-up of your use case and get it to your Cisco/Meraki team to add it to the FR for the UI team to review. 

The only workaround I could think of for now is to leverage the API to script time-based changes to update the group policies for the clients.  So you could have a 12-6 policy, 9-5 policy, and 8-11 policy, which could all be the same or different, no matter, and at the appropriate 3 times of the day, iterate through the clients and assign them to a group policy.  But that's an awful lot of API calls if you have a lot of clients.  I do not (yet) see the API endpoint for updating GP, only listing them. 

Sorry but at least for now, the GP schedule is only on/off once per day and right now no way to schedule multiple discontiguous time windows.  Having different on/off hours on the weekend is supported and simple, but again only one on/off window per day.  

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Ahh hell. @PhilipDAth is right and I'm smoking wacky stuff (I am in Canada afterall 😛 )

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@jdsilva only a single policy can have a schedule.  So if the Morning policy has a schedule, you can not attach a second schedule to the Afternoon policy.

FritzG
Conversationalist

Thank you.  I kind of knew that this was the answer but I was hoping I was wrong. 

Honestly, I don't understand the logic behind thinking one would only need to apply/remove a policy once a day.  I am not a programmer but how hard can it be to create a procedure that allows for multiple triggers on the same variables(time of day and day of week)?

Hopefully, it doesn't take forever to get that feature into a build.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.