Check or Monitor Live per client traffic?

kredmore
Getting noticed

Check or Monitor Live per client traffic?

Typical scenario - MX showing Live Uplink traffic scrolling across screen at max download speed of WAN connection.  Knowing the dashboard well, with limits in place, etc. I want to know who the offending clients (wired and wireless) that are using up all the bandwidth - is this possible?

- Security Appliance shows live uplink traffic

- Switch shows per switch per client historically.

- Wireless shows live clients traffic per AP - I want across all clients (wired and wireless)

14 REPLIES 14
DCooper
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Once you turn on detailed traffic analysis under network wide>general Traffic analysis a new tab will be under network wide> traffic analytics to see what your asking for.

Adam
Kind of a big deal

@DCooper wrote:

Once you turn on detailed traffic analysis under network wide>general Traffic analysis a new tab will be under network wide> traffic analytics to see what your asking for.

But the tightest you can filter the data on that page is for the last 2 hours.  So to quickly diagnose a spike in traffic it would be nice to be able to see live data or maybe even just the last 5 minutes.  

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, have that turned on already. Traffic Analytics is historical, not live that I'm asking for, similar to AP status but across all clients.

DCooper
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Netflow, radius accounting(basic) or pulling from the API(which would be a bit of delay but you could format time slices how you'd like) those are the only options beyond what I mentioned. 

ok. Thanks for the suggestions outside of Dashboard.

Seems like a future Dashboard enhancement request then, as it's available per AP per client today in Dashboard today.

And would Insight help here?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Packet Capture for 2 to 5 minutes + Wireshark.

Adam
Kind of a big deal

@PhilipDAth wrote:

Packet Capture for 2 to 5 minutes + Wireshark.

Do what Philip said and when your capture is open in Wireshark click Statistics>Endpoints.  Click the IPv4 tab and sort by bytes. 

Would be nice though if Meraki had a smaller window than 2 hour or even a live statistics option for tracking down these sorts of things from within the dashboard.  

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
kredmore
Getting noticed

Created a "Wish" post.

@DCooper, Radius Accounting isn't available on the MX is it?  And can you pull the data with the dashboard API with an MX?  If so, can you link what API endpoint you would use here?  For some reason, I haven't seen anything that I thought would work for this purpose, but could have missed it!

If anyone else is wanting to use the API to get more granular detail, here is the endpoint you need to use:  https://dashboard.meraki.com/api_docs#clients 

I'm honestly not sure how accurate it is when you start looking at smaller time slices (600 sec or less), but it seems to be working pretty well.

Here's a snapshot of a quick dashboard I wrote that will display the stats for the serial # that I enter:

2018-06-27 10_44_58-Meraki Bandwidth Reporting Tool.png

DCooper
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

@lpopejoyJust curious what Database are you dumping the data into?

@DCooper  It actually isn't hitting a database.  Just pulling in the JSON and massaging a bit then dumping it into an HTML table.  

decaalv
Conversationalist

Hi. I am affraid the link to the API call is broken. Can you repost? Thank you in advance.

lpopejoy
A model citizen

I totally agree that we need better real time visibility in the MX.  When there is a bandwidth issue, the "last 2 hour" view isn't granular enough to diagnose an issue. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.