Android devices on the network show a generic description.

SOLVED
peterwarwick
Here to help

Android devices on the network show a generic description.

HI Guys,

Wondering if anyone is able to help or has seen this before. I have a couple of devices on my network which has generic names for the devices.  Does anyone know how to pull this data into the dashboard or if this is an issue with a particular version of the Android code?

android devices.PNG

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Meraki support has replied explaining that this feature is not available as yet and to submit a 'make a wish' request.  I have 'made a wish' so let's hope this feature becomes available in the future updates.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@peterwarwick 

This is a common thing, you can manually renamed each device. Has the hostname been changed on each of the devices themselves?

I'm not sure if all of the devices have been renamed, but I know that mine has been.  I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 and have re-named it to "Remote Detonator" - however this is still seen as "Android"

Nick
Head in the Cloud

From the screenshot it looks like its just the Android devices that are doing this?

You may have to manually match the devices via IP and name them I am afraid

Correct, it is only Android devices that do not pull a hostname.  I'm feeling that manually changing each name may be the quickest option in this case as it only a handful of devices.

However, on a large scale deployment of Android clients; this is not a feasible option.

I have asked Meraki support the question but I feel I won't get the outcome I require.

Nick
Head in the Cloud

Its worth asking the question - I've just looked through some of our networks and although we only have a few places with Android devices. They are all appearing like yours

So it might be expected behaviour

Meraki support has replied explaining that this feature is not available as yet and to submit a 'make a wish' request.  I have 'made a wish' so let's hope this feature becomes available in the future updates.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.