High Sierra VM (Virtual Machine)

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

High Sierra VM (Virtual Machine)

Hi All,

After doing all my pre-deployment testing I find that my computer gets cluttered and I often wipe and re-configure every few months. I have gotten tired of that so I wanted to share these two (very helpful) links in case you are running into a similar issue. Use a High Sierra VM!

VirtualBox Site:

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads 

Configuring a High Sierra VM on a Mac:

http://tobiwashere.de/2017/10/virtualbox-how-to-create-a-macos-high-sierra-vm-to-run-on-a-mac-host-s...

Jared

Find this helpful? Click the kudos button. Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Nice idea but why not just create an image and re image using something like deploy studio or even Carbon copy cloner?

@BlakeRichardson A VM with snapshots is always going to be faster than physical device reimaging. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12

Yes it might be faster than re-imaging but depending on what hardware your running on the system might run like your on a piece of 10 year old hardware...  For the sake of 10 minutes I would rather have something running natively. 

I have personably moved away from images with the SSP. If I can’t do something on the VM I just remote into a machine with ARD. 

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

But, I do realize a lot of people aren’t in love with ARD. 

Yes ARD is ok most of the time but has never been 100% solid in my use. The "task Server" feature was a flop and never really worked. It has such potential but as Apple is not interested in anything but Consumer and selling iPhones I don't see it ever being useful for mass deployment.

sshort
Building a reputation

LOL

yeah, when ARD works -- it works well. but when it doesn't, it can hang/not refresh/stall out and gets frustrating pretty quickly.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels