Android Apps via Backpack in Meraki MDM

Shock
New here

Android Apps via Backpack in Meraki MDM

Hi all,

A school has recently purchased some Android tablets and i'm struggling to add apps to them using backpack (we would rather not use Google Play if possible).

The devices we have are running Android 6.0.1 and we're running the free version of Meraki (a school with a very limited budget unfortunately).

I have added an APK to the Meraki backpack (using an internal server to host the apk), and the tablet downloads it successfully. However, upon trying to install the APK from within Meraki SM (Backpack screen), I receive the message "Your administrator doesn't allow installation of apps obtained from unknown sources".

In the tablet's security settings, "Allow installations of apps from unknown sources" is ticked and enabled. I've tested downloading and installing an APK manually (not using Meraki - downloading APK direct) and it installs fine (installs to the tablet's personal profile).

Meraki SM unfortunately runs from the tablet's work profile, it seems to want to install any backpack apps to a work profile, and there appears to be no way to change this. Since Meraki actually created the work profile (and manages it), it seems that it's a Meraki setting that's actually disallowing "install from unknown sources", however I can't find anywhere in Meraki MDM to enable installs from unknown sources.

Has anyone managed to set this up successfully and could point me in the right direction?

Thanks very much for your help 🙂

4 REPLIES 4
WadeAlsup
A model citizen

Hi @Shock

Under Systems Manager > Settings > More Android > Restrictions there is a check box for "Prevent installation of apps from unknown sources" that I believe is defaulted to be checked when adding the setting to your profile. Have you verified that setting is unchecked? androidmdm.JPG

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below) and If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution 🙂

Hi there,

Thanks for the quick response.

Unfortunately the "More Android" setting is greyed-out, and if I click on it, receive the message "This feature is available with the licensed version of Systems Manager" (screenshot below). I'm beginning to think I've reached the limits of the free edition of Meraki?

Thanks,

Shock.

meraki.png

Ah, they may have added that feature after they retired the free version. I think you would need the full (licensed) version of Systems Manager to be able to change those features. It might be worth reaching out to Meraki to find out for sure. 

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below) and If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution 🙂
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Also make sure you are using the devices in "Device Owner Mode".

https://documentation.meraki.com/SM/Deployment_Guides/Android_Enterprise_Deployment_Guide_(Android_f...

You should be able to deploy apps using an Google Play for Work (also related to Android for Work).  Google Play for Work is used when in device owner mode.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels