Removing Windows devices from SM........they keep coming back

SOLVED
Jacko
Here to help

Removing Windows devices from SM........they keep coming back

Hi,

so to free up about 15 Enterprise licences we removed our W10 pro devices from the SM network, and ensured that the agent was also uninstalled from the computers.

However, after a period of time, they come back onto SM. I thought maybe a Domain Group Policy was re-pushing the agent out, but when i check it wasn't. So i'm confused. How can it be re-adding devices that for all intents and purposes are no longer part of our Meraki SM.

I don't get it.

Anyone got any advice please?

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
KarbonX1
Getting noticed

I have a workaround to that, but its not exactly what Meraki supports. Meraki says to uninstall the agent on the end device so that it doesn't attempt to connect any longer.

My workaround is to create a new SM network in the dashboard called decommissioned, then move all decommissioned clients from the production SM network into the decommissioned SM network. Then you can delete the decommissioned SM network from the dashboard and the devices won't have a valid network to connect to anymore. Again not the best option, but seems to work for me.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
KarbonX1
Getting noticed

I have a workaround to that, but its not exactly what Meraki supports. Meraki says to uninstall the agent on the end device so that it doesn't attempt to connect any longer.

My workaround is to create a new SM network in the dashboard called decommissioned, then move all decommissioned clients from the production SM network into the decommissioned SM network. Then you can delete the decommissioned SM network from the dashboard and the devices won't have a valid network to connect to anymore. Again not the best option, but seems to work for me.

Can you block the application using Windows firewall?

Thanks for the replies, but if i've removed the agent/application from the windows device then how on earth can it possibly be connecting back into the SM?

I just don't get it?

I'm losing about 15 Enterprises licences to this issue at approx £25 per licence = not fun

We use a domain firewall, and blocking that port would just cause issues i'm afraid.

OMG.....they've come back a day later.

How the hell can this happen?

Looks like i'll have to contact support and wait the usual lengthy amount of time for a response.

Not what you expect form a paid for service, but hey ho. 😞

Melissa
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

@Jacko - Just checking on this - have you removed the SM agent AND the enrollment profile? Either one will continue checking in to SM.

Here's more on that...

https://documentation.meraki.com/SM/Device_Enrollment/Uninstalling_Systems_Manager_and_Removing_Mana...

You can always call in to support as well! I would say the only time to avoid (if possible) is 11-12pm PST. That tends to be the busiest time - in general. 

Worked great.  I will monitor to see if it sticks.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels