Out of Sync application data

Schooltech
New here

Out of Sync application data

Hi all,

I hope someone can help.

I work in a small school where we employ Cisco Meraki MDM to manage ipads, they are all ipad airs and 5th Gens. 

Students use their own apple id's when available. Today I have been through the software inventory section with a suggested list of applications from our local police force, where i found Kik messenger on an individuals ipad. 

The app showed up in the clients installed apps list, it had under status "Installed"- we called this student in, but when looking at the ipad the app was not there, it was no hidden or installed in any way, the student said that they had the app on a old iphone but never on the ipad, yet when we looked in the store it was in the update centre wit a pending update.

Essentially we want to know why it is showing up as installed, and if this could be the case for any other applications we see in the inventory.

The ipad was checked in a minute before we called the student up also.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
vassallon
Kind of a big deal

Did you do a search on the iPad for the App? I know that students love to hide Apps in folders. I don't think I've ever seen an instance of Meraki saying an App was installed and it not actually being on the iPad. Were there any restrictions setup on the iPad itself which may have been hiding the App?

Hidden Apps by MerakiHidden Apps by Meraki

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)

I looked in the ipad settings on the app list to see all the apps installed, which i assume would not hide the app. As well as using the search bar when you swipe left?

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

I have come to realize that Meraki is rarely wrong in its software inventory. Are you sure that the student didn’t delete it before seeing you? I would take that blacklist of apps and push out a blacklist “deleting” (really hiding) them in managed iPads. Also, maybe a policy with an email notification would be useful too. 

Find this helpful? Click the kudos button. Thanks!
jared_f
Kind of a big deal

Also, Meraki wouldn’t be collecting data from unmanned devices (the iPhone).

Find this helpful? Click the kudos button. Thanks!
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels