Online/Offline recognition

beks88
A model citizen

Online/Offline recognition

Is there a documentation how fast SM recognizes a device as offline?

Just had the case device checked in at 14:45 o'clock as online. Device went offline a few minutes later. SM took 45 min to report the device as offline in the dashboard?

Is there a way to reduce or control this?

10 REPLIES 10
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

I know you can push the check in option for device.

Capture.PNG

Enthusiast
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

You can also do this for multiple devices. Just click on checkboxes for the devices you want and click the "Command" tab.

Capture.PNG

Enthusiast
beks88
A model citizen

We did it about 5 times and got everytime a "now" in agent last online. But after 45 min SM showed the status as shown in the image. The only way I could assume the device as offline is, because the actions sent to the device where hold on pending.

Bildschirmfoto 2019-04-24 um 15.47.34.png

kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

I mean it does need to communicate with the cloud. Like if an iPad is sleeping and not online it will not report. It will check in when it regains network.

Enthusiast
beks88
A model citizen

Yes, but I need to know what time is used where SM says, "OK I give up this device is offline"

If I'm forcing a device 5 times to check in and there is no response, but SM says it's online "now" there must be a trigger of time when SM "switches" the device as offline. In this case it took 45 min and this is a very long period.

kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

@MerakiDave Would you know exactly how much time it would take like @beks88 mentioned before it says "device is offline"?

Enthusiast
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

There is nothing that you can configure that says when a device is considered offline.

ps. You are likely to get better results if the device is in Device Owner Mode (Android) or Supervised (Apple).

Will try it on an iPad/iPhone, but the current device is a MacBook, there is no supervised mode

Even with supervised iPads I've noticed it seems to be 30+ minutes before a device flips from online/now to offline/last checked in.

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels