cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online/Offline recognition

A model citizen

Online/Offline recognition

Is there a documentation how fast SM recognizes a device as offline?

Just had the case device checked in at 14:45 o'clock as online. Device went offline a few minutes later. SM took 45 min to report the device as offline in the dashboard?

Is there a way to reduce or control this?

10 REPLIES 10
Kind of a big deal

Re: Online/Offline recognition

I know you can push the check in option for device.

Capture.PNG

Kind of a big deal

You can also do this for multiple devices. Just click on checkboxes for the devices you want and click the "Command" tab.

Capture.PNG

A model citizen

We did it about 5 times and got everytime a "now" in agent last online. But after 45 min SM showed the status as shown in the image. The only way I could assume the device as offline is, because the actions sent to the device where hold on pending.

Bildschirmfoto 2019-04-24 um 15.47.34.png

Kind of a big deal

I mean it does need to communicate with the cloud. Like if an iPad is sleeping and not online it will not report. It will check in when it regains network.

A model citizen

Yes, but I need to know what time is used where SM says, "OK I give up this device is offline"

If I'm forcing a device 5 times to check in and there is no response, but SM says it's online "now" there must be a trigger of time when SM "switches" the device as offline. In this case it took 45 min and this is a very long period.

Kind of a big deal

@MerakiDave Would you know exactly how much time it would take like @beks88 mentioned before it says "device is offline"?

Kind of a big deal

There is nothing that you can configure that says when a device is considered offline.

Kind of a big deal

ps. You are likely to get better results if the device is in Device Owner Mode (Android) or Supervised (Apple).

A model citizen

Will try it on an iPad/iPhone, but the current device is a MacBook, there is no supervised mode

Head in the Cloud

Even with supervised iPads I've noticed it seems to be 30+ minutes before a device flips from online/now to offline/last checked in.

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels