Microsoft Word/Excel - Managed App Config

tsukraw
Comes here often

Microsoft Word/Excel - Managed App Config

Been trying to figure out if it is possible.

We are pushing out Microsoft Word and Excel to iPads.

The applications are coming available through Office365 and require a login for first use.

Is anyone aware of a Managed App Config for Word and Excel on IOS devices to suply their login?

7 Replies 7
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

MDM's usually cannot push out settings for 3rd party app's i.e. login information. It would be nice if they could.

Are they shared devices or would you just prefer that users not know their O365 credentials?

What we have is a few field units.

We are using MDM to push out the username/password four their Mail app tied to Office365. This required a separate policy per user. But there is only a couple devices so it is fairly simple  to do per device policies.

We were thinking if we could add the settings for Word/Excel to login it would make it that much easier.

Yeah thats not possible sorry. That would require Apple and Meraki having to support payloads for every 3rd party app that has any form of customisable settings.

The settings options within a profile would be endless.

Can you explain the purpose of the "Managed App Config"
I get that this app might not support it. But i thought the "Managed App Config" was for API based values that could be pushed to apps?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I believe this might be possible on Android, but not on Apple devices.

If you look at the examples provided by meraki, you will see IOS is supported, but it seems meraki wants the users to config on their own, or with the app developer support.

MikeMandalorian
A model citizen

As the others have said , No the UN/PW cant be pushed but i chimed in to caution to make sure that your O365 licensing supports the use of the apps,, i just dealt with this yesterday so that is why i am saying something ,, our staff can log in via O365 portal through safari and use word,excel and so on but if they download the app because of our Licencing with O365 the apps are not supported 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels