Meraki preventing Apple mail app use

iPadHerder
Comes here often

Meraki preventing Apple mail app use

We have around 40 iPads enrolled in the Meraki MDM (free version). We supervise the iPads with Apple Configurator and push out apps with Apple VPP using device IDs. We added a few new devices recently and have noticed that we are unable to add email accounts to the Apple mail app. Our office has Gmail for business email, which works fine in the Gmail app. When we try to add the same account to the Apple mail app it just goes back to the start screen that prompts you for the type of email account to enter. I've heard a few reports from users that were able to add their account, but were having issues with being able to send and receive emails.

The Apple mail app seems to be working fine on our older devices (first generation iPad minis), but not on the new ones (iPad Pro model mqf12LL). When I remove the Meraki profile, the Apple mail app works fine on the iPad Pros. Also, we don't have any firewall configurations sets up in Meraki.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

6 REPLIES 6
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I don't know the answer to your problem - but have you considered using the GMail app instead?

That was the workaround I was using before, but I've gotten a couple requests to get Apple Mail up and running. I figured I'd see if I could make it happen since there shouldn't be an reason for it not to work.

GarethM
New here

If you have 'Account Modification' turned off in restrictions, this will happen. Account modification prevents iCloud, iTunes & App Store and Mail accounts from signing in.

Thanks for the response GarethM - unfortunately that's not it, I have "Allow modifying account settings" turned on in restrictions.

I discovered that the app whitelist function in settings was preventing logging in to the Mail App. I was able to create a second network without a whitelist enforced, which doesn't solve the problem, but works as a workaround.

ThatShipsSailed
Conversationalist

I realise this is an ancient thread but for any future searches:

Might seem a bit left field - ages ago we were having the exact same symptom as OP when trying to add personal Gmail accounts to managed devices...

Wouldn't work when on our corporate network - turned out when adding a gmail account to the native app, the device was trying to get out to Google on ports 993 and 5228, which had been disallowed on our firewall.

Dropped the phones off the WiFi, and tried on cellular, and it worked fine. 

Step one, check the network/firewall... :).

Hope this helps someone one day!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels