Geofencing with policies

SOLVED
PaulAM87
Here to help

Geofencing with policies

HI,

I have just started using Meraki MDM and i am looking for some advice on Geofencing.

In particular i would like the device to disable automatically once it has left a geofenced area for more than an hour.  

as most of the staff we have move about the UK i am mainly looking at doing this to stop people taking phone abroad without telling us and running up huge bills.

can any one advise if they have done this before and if its done using tags and policys? and if i decided to add the area, say New York, to a geofence policy and add it to a phone would it pick it up after i enabled the phone again?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can't disable the device to the best of my knowledge.  You can generate an alert when someone leaves or enters a region.

I have done this before for one of my customers.  I put the whole country in a geo fence area so they know when someone leaves.  Another trick is to put International airports in a geo fence area.

If it is an iOS device and it is in supervised mode you can disable data roaming.  You can do the same for Android devices that are in Device Owner mode.  On an IOS device you could also enable "lost" mode.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
MilesMeraki
Head in the Cloud

I've not setup any Geofencing policies. I'd recommend having a look at this knowledge base article which provides some great steps with setting geofencing - https://documentation.meraki.com/SM/Tags_and_Policies/Geofencing_with_Managed_Devices

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can't disable the device to the best of my knowledge.  You can generate an alert when someone leaves or enters a region.

I have done this before for one of my customers.  I put the whole country in a geo fence area so they know when someone leaves.  Another trick is to put International airports in a geo fence area.

If it is an iOS device and it is in supervised mode you can disable data roaming.  You can do the same for Android devices that are in Device Owner mode.  On an IOS device you could also enable "lost" mode.

thanks for the advice, i had taken a look at the documentation and wanted to see if there was anything automated i could do.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels