FYI: Unable to turn off Location Services [Fix / Workaround]

PeterJames
Head in the Cloud

FYI: Unable to turn off Location Services [Fix / Workaround]

According to https://documentation.meraki.com/SM/Monitoring_and_Reporting/How_Systems_Manager_Approximates_the_Lo... : "Due to Apple end-user privacy restrictions, it is not possible for EMM vendors to force GPS location on iOS devices without user notification, nor is it possible to permanently lock location services to be enabled."  

---

Problem: You can turn on but not turn off Location Services.

Root Cause: When you turn on Location Services, the iOS defaults the 'Share My Location' to on. However, if you have the supervised profile setting 'Allow modifying Find My Friends settings' disabled, the end-user cannot disable this and in-turn this prevents the end-user being able to turn off 'Location Services'.

You can confirm this by going in to General -> Privacy -> Location Services -> Systems Services:

ShareMyLocationSmall.png

---

Fix  / Workaround: Enable the setting 'Allow modifying Find My Friends settings'

The specific profile setting that needs enabled is:

Profile-FindMyFriend.PNG

I hope this helps anyone else who might have stumbled across this. An interesting one for sure!

Thank you,

Peter James

1 REPLY 1
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

@PeterJames Good find. 🙂

Enthusiast
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels