Enrolling Linux OS on the EMM or Systems Manager

SOLVED
Troyee
Getting noticed

Enrolling Linux OS on the EMM or Systems Manager

Hi Everyone,

I would like to ask if it is possible to add a Linux OS device on the Systems Manager? If not, can the Systems Manager run or execute WINE application? 

WINE is used to run windows application on a Linux Operating System.

Would appreciate your ideas and response for this is critical for my deployment.

Thank you Everyone.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Linux is not supported by Systems Manager.

There's nothing to stop you trying to install the SM Windows Agent within WINE - do you know if the agent is on the WINE supported list?  (I doubt it)   As Systems Manager doesn't really run on a device, in the same way as a normal programme, with user interaction etc. (it only provides a way for Dashboard to interact with the native Operating System), I'd be extremely surprised if it installed properly, let alone worked in practise.  Either way, Meraki Support would not be able to help with anything around this.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Linux is not supported by Systems Manager.

There's nothing to stop you trying to install the SM Windows Agent within WINE - do you know if the agent is on the WINE supported list?  (I doubt it)   As Systems Manager doesn't really run on a device, in the same way as a normal programme, with user interaction etc. (it only provides a way for Dashboard to interact with the native Operating System), I'd be extremely surprised if it installed properly, let alone worked in practise.  Either way, Meraki Support would not be able to help with anything around this.

I see, i really appreciate your response. Thanks a lot. I think we'll just manually enforce or manage the Linux OS devices if it's the limitation of the Systems Manager.

For additional question, may i also ask if the Systems Manager is capable to manage Windows 7 OS devices? 

Thank you.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

https://documentation.meraki.com/SM/Device_Enrollment/Systems_Manager_Agent_and_MDM_Profile_Enrollme...

"* Windows 7 and 8 natively do not support MDM enrollment profiles, and can only be managed via the SM agent. Microsoft began implementing MDM support with Windows 10"

You can install the Systems Manager agent on Windows 7.  It can do things like monitor CPU, disk, etc.  HOwever you can not deploy settings like WiFi - which is done via a profile, and only Windows 10 supports profiles.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

As @GreenMan says, their is no Linux agent.

You could potentially run it under wine - but I don't see the port.  It would only report on what it sees in the emulated environment, as opposed to the actual machine itself.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels