Deploying Paid Android Apps with Licenses

SicardRV
Comes here often

Deploying Paid Android Apps with Licenses

I'm looking to deploy a paid app using Meraki SM's Kiosk Mode on a Samsung Tab A 10.1" (SM-P550) in Device Owner mode running Android 7.1.1, Meraki SM Version 1.24 / 3.3.7 and haven't had any success.  The app I'm trying to deploy is AccuTerm Mobile from Zumasys (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zumasys.accutermmobile).

The app has been purchased with the Google Play account we're using for Systems Manager, the app is approved and showing an available license on "My Managed Apps" (https://play.google.com/work/licenses/apps) and is approved under Emm > Apps section of SM.

Free apps provision without issue, but with this app it shows the purchase price (crossed out) above an Install button.  It doesn't automatically install, and tapping Install does nothing.

Attempting to get around this, I added the Google account under Settings > Accounts on the tablet and in Google Play switched from the managed account to the added account which allowed me to install it!  However, as soon as I attempt using Meraki Kiosk Mode, the app it uninstalls the app AND Google Play.  Kiosk mode then appears with the app ID and a black circle with a question mark for the app (app not installed).

I couldn't find any documentation on deploying an app like this using Systems Manager and Kiosk Mode uninstalling Google Play & the app was curious.

I'm wondering if it has to do with the way device accounts are provisioned, ie:  2393249234293423@android-for-work.gserviceaccount.com, that SM can't associate the accounts.

Has anyone worked through this type of deployment? Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
TylerJ
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

@SicardRV wrote:

I'm looking to deploy a paid app using Meraki SM's Kiosk Mode on a Samsung Tab A 10.1" (SM-P550) in Device Owner mode running Android 7.1.1, Meraki SM Version 1.24 / 3.3.7 and haven't had any success.  The app I'm trying to deploy is AccuTerm Mobile from Zumasys (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zumasys.accutermmobile).

The app has been purchased with the Google Play account we're using for Systems Manager, the app is approved and showing an available license on "My Managed Apps" (https://play.google.com/work/licenses/apps) and is approved under Emm > Apps section of SM.

Free apps provision without issue, but with this app it shows the purchase price (crossed out) above an Install button.  It doesn't automatically install, and tapping Install does nothing.

Attempting to get around this, I added the Google account under Settings > Accounts on the tablet and in Google Play switched from the managed account to the added account which allowed me to install it!  However, as soon as I attempt using Meraki Kiosk Mode, the app it uninstalls the app AND Google Play.  Kiosk mode then appears with the app ID and a black circle with a question mark for the app (app not installed).

I couldn't find any documentation on deploying an app like this using Systems Manager and Kiosk Mode uninstalling Google Play & the app was curious.

I'm wondering if it has to do with the way device accounts are provisioned, ie:  2393249234293423@android-for-work.gserviceaccount.com, that SM can't associate the accounts.

Has anyone worked through this type of deployment? Thanks!

Hi SicardRV,

It sounds like you're doing everything correctly, but something isn't syncing correctly to keep the app installed when in Kiosk Mode. This should work for kiosk mode without issue - so If this is still occurring I suggest you give our support team a call to troubleshoot both sides of this issue. 

The best way to contact Meraki support is through "Help" > "Get Help" in the top right of the Meraki Dashboard - this will give you both phone numbers and an email address to get in touch with Meraki Suport.

Hope this helps!

-Tyler J

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels