Apple Classroom Guide

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

Apple Classroom Guide

Hi All,

I was playing around with Apple Classroom today and I noticed Meraki's guides were a little sparse and excluded a lot of important details in order to get the education configuration working properly. I am not in education, but if you are - then Apple School manager makes it way easier, but this is not my specialty. I wrote up a quick guide on how to create a working configuration the manual way and made some important notes that Meraki left out in their older documentation. Hope it helps! If you have any questions I can try to help!

Apple Classroom Guide Link 

Jared

Find this helpful? Click the kudos button. Thanks!
11 REPLIES 11
TimHughSmith
Getting noticed

Thanks @jared_f !

Melissa
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

I'm late to this thread - but thank you @jared_f!

You might play around with the Apple Classroom app on your iOS devices - it's free and works outside of Apple School Manager. The latest versions support something Apple calls "unmanaged classrooms" - basically the ability create a class and have devices (even those without the classroom app) join via bluetooth.

This could be really cool for trainings or presentations - if you or your users find themselves needing to lead people through content or apps on ipads! 

MSaxby
Conversationalist

Your setup instructions were very helpful - unfortunately I haven't been able to get things to work.  Teacher Ipads can see students in classes, but they all appear offline - always.  I am quite sure that it is a networking issue, but I can't figure it out.

I am quite certain all iPads are receiving the Education profile (Classroom sees the students that it "expects" in the classroom) 

All iPads on same SSID

All have Bluetooth on

I suspect the problem is a port not open (Apple reports that ports 3283 and 3284 must be open - I don't know where/how to do this on my Meraki router)

Or somehow there is a setting that is preventing P2P communication, but I can't find it. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

vassallon
Kind of a big deal

@MSaxby 

Are you doing Ad-Hoc classes or pushing out the information through Meraki from ASM?

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
MSaxby
Conversationalist

The classes come from Apple via the MDM (Meraki), but I am pretty sure that part is working because I see all of the correct classes and students in those classes, but the students are all "offline".

vassallon
Kind of a big deal

@MSaxby 

I assume each student is assigned an iPad within Meraki as well. Do you have staff and students in the same network within Meraki?

MSaxby
Conversationalist

Yes, each student is assigned an iPad in Meraki - I checked under owners and that appears correct (it is showing 1 device owned).  

Students and teachers are in the same network. 

I am pretty sure this is a networking issue - I have made sure that the iPads are on the same SSID, both have Bluetooth on...

One SSID has NAT - it doesn't look like that would work, so I used on that is in Bridge mode so they have IP addresses that are only different in the last number. 

I don't have P2P restricted on my network (that I am aware of). 

It may have to do with opening the required ports 3283 and 3284, but I don't know what that will look like or where to do that - my network has a Meraki MX-84 security appliance as a router. 

vassallon
Kind of a big deal

@MSaxby 

I would suggest removing your network from the equation.  IE, setup a test network, hotspot or home network, and see if you are able to get Apple Classroom working.

This will at least help you isolate whether it is a networking or profile issue.

It will also allow us to know which way to offer assistance in troubleshooting this with you.

ArthurJames
New here

@writemyessaytoday wrote:

Hi All,

I was playing around with Apple Classroom today and I noticed Meraki's guides were a little sparse and excluded a lot of important details in order to get the education configuration working properly. I am not in education, but if you are - then Apple School manager makes it way easier, but this is not my specialty. I wrote up a quick guide on how to create a working configuration the manual way and made some important notes that Meraki left out in their older documentation. Hope it helps! If you have any questions I can try to help!

Apple Classroom Guide Link

Jared

Hello Jared,

Thanks for the guide. I'm a high school TA (just started teaching in February). I'm planning to use Apple Classroo for our STEM club (Mac PCs mostly: 12 Mac + 4 Windows). Are there any updates about macOS Education Payload?

Thanks,

Arthur

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

Hi @ArthurJames, do you have Zoom? I haven't been playing around with Meraki MDM too much over the last year (though I still do glance at it). That being said, I was the lead on the management and deployment on Jamf Pro at my University for our iOS and Mac management platform and I did all the integrations with Apple School Manager. Are you using an SIS? My high school relied heavily on PowerSchool when they implemented Apple Classoom. My university uses a product called Banner from Ellucian, I always wanted to build the bridge but they weren't too Apple friendly and I have moved on from my day to day work there. I might by a little Meraki rusty ~ but I am sure I can help!

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

Sorry y'all, I noticed someone tried to access the guide via Google Drive and it did not work. I am in the midst of consolidating my email and moving my data to OneDrive! Should be fixed above, but here is the link if you are still having issues.

https://flittorg-my.sharepoint.com/:b:/g/personal/jaredflitt_flitt_org1/EU5-feCrhylBnvFifzuDQy8BK5ap...

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels