Help with work issue - ATT internet

BethL
Here to help

Help with work issue - ATT internet

Hello everyone! 

I am new to the Cisco community and hoping to hear your suggestions to a pesky issue. I work from home, have ATT internet (and U-Verse until they discontinue U-Verse and launch the streaming service) and use computer equipment from my employer which includes a Meraki Z3. Everything I do on a daily basis works wonderfully except ONE of my job tasks. I work in the healthcare field and use the Availity website. One of the tasks I do often on Availity is to upload a signed PDF. Whenever I try this function, I get a failure msg from Availity. Availity analysts have not been able to offer a solution.  My employer's IT team has remoted in to my desktop, run diagnostics and also confirmed I am not losing more "packets" than is acceptable. They switched out my processor and my Meraki which did not make a difference. I also tried connecting the Maraki directly in to the modem versus connecting to a wireless bridge - makes no difference. I CAN do this task successfully from my personal desktop (no Meraki) and from my employer's office. I have reached out to my work team to see if anyone has had the same issue but everyone I've asked has Spectrum internet and has not had this issue. My husband also works from home and has no problems in his work. Any thoughts? Thank you for your insights! 

13 REPLIES 13
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What is the failure message?

Does it by chance seem to take a long time to do the upload, and then come up with the failure message?

BethL_0-1609193509789.png

The upload is very quick and the error comes up immediately, no delay at all. 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You mention it works when you do it from the office.  Is this using the same notebook or different computers?

We use the exact same monitors and processor at the office but are connected to the company network with built-in firewall so no separate Meraki at out work stations.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

One of the support people will need to use a tool like Fidler or at least take a packet capture to examine the issue further.

IT ran a 30 minute test for packet loss. I don't recall the exact numbers but seems they were checking for loss of 4= and the actual loss was under 1. Is this similar to what you are referring to?  Thank you so much for jumping in and trying to help!

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I would ask your IT-Team to switch the connection to "Full Tunnel".

I once had a scenario where the interaction with a website worked fine, but a server-side process was checking the requesters IP. The company IPs were whitelisted but the home-offices were not. After moving to full tunnel it worked.

Thanks, I will ask reach out to IT and ask about this. Would this setting effect any other websites I'm currently using?  Like I say, this one issue only occurs when uploading a PDF on Availity. Everything else I do day-to-day on other websites works great. 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@BethL with Meraki VPNs there are two modes:

Full tunnel: all traffic goes over the VPN to the office / company network and then if it is internet traffic it goes out of the corporate firewalls.

Split tunnel: only traffic to internal company servers and devices goes over the VPN, everything else goes straight out of your internet connection.

You can tell which one you have by going to http://time.org on your home computer and then on your company one.  If they both show the same IP address at the top of the screen then the Meraki Z3 is set up in split tunnel mode.

BethL
Here to help

Thanks for your help - I just checked this and have two different IP addresses. Not sure if this is pertinent but my home office and personal desktop are on separate floors and opposite ends of our house. The internet feed coming in to my home office connects directly to the Meraki.  My processor connects to my work phone and the work phone in to the Meraki.  

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@BethL that should mean that you already have the Meraki Z3 set to full tunnel mode and it should behave the same as though you were at work.

It would be interesting if you could go to the same site at work and see if you get the same address as your work computer at home (I am expecting that you will).

The next step I would take is to try to access the upload site while someone is watching the corporate firewall logs, I'd guess that a rule that allows the upload isn't set to allow your home IP subnet, though it could be many things...

BethL
Here to help

Sure appreciate everyone's help on this. I will be going in to the office tomorrow and will check to see if I get the same IP address as my work station at home. Until the error msg issue is resolved, I will be going to the office once a week to complete this project. I will pass along your suggestion to our IT team and see if they will remote in while I try to upload a PDF on the Availity site.  There has got to be an alternate solution to paying another $50/month for Spectrum or another ISP so very appreciative of any and all suggestions to resolve this :-). 

Happiman
Building a reputation

Happiman_0-1612998531186.png

If you can, can you try again after you disable web cache on (SD-WAN & traffic shaping)?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.