cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

firmware upgrade for templates

New here

firmware upgrade for templates

We have several templates that we have many devices bound to and I am curious if anyone has run into any issues after updating a template.  From what I understand as well it will update all of the bound devices to that template, has anyone had any issues with that as well.

Thanks

7 REPLIES
Kind of a big deal

Re: firmware upgrade for templates

It will upgrade every network bound to the template, and I have not had any issues.
Kind of a big deal

It does as you expect. There will be a range of times for firmware to apply to each bound network, usually 5-10 minutes between each network. I've never had a problem with template firmware changes. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
Conversationalist

I have had the same concern with our networks, They are scattered over a bunch of different time zones and the concern is that you cannot individually update them during optimal times as mentioned in another comment they update about 5-10 minutes apart. Meraki HQ has the ability to update individual devices (secretly found out while troubleshooting with them Smiley Happy ).  Since finding that out, I hassled them and they mentioned that this feature is currently in the pipeline but unable to give any insight as to when it will be available.

Kind of a big deal

There is a beta feature (which you can ask to be added to) for doing this but only with switches.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Other_Topics/Staged_Upgrades_for_Meraki_Switches

Kind of a big deal

@JamesV The updates should happen in the local time zone configured on each network. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
Conversationalist

I tried a while ago and it was all at the same time but a while ago is really a long while ago.
Its good to know that though thank you @MRCUR
A model citizen

We have had no issues around this. Albeit it is worry that if something goes wrong you could up having a lot of angry customers!

The only thing to note is that when there is a new firmware released all Organisations Admins get an email about them being applied and there is not way to change this. So whilst automatic updates are a good idea from one prospective from another you need to make sure all Organisations Admins are aware they may get an email.

Thank you,
Peter James