cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

firmware upgrade for templates

New here

firmware upgrade for templates

We have several templates that we have many devices bound to and I am curious if anyone has run into any issues after updating a template.  From what I understand as well it will update all of the bound devices to that template, has anyone had any issues with that as well.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Kind of a big deal

Re: firmware upgrade for templates

It will upgrade every network bound to the template, and I have not had any issues.
Kind of a big deal

It does as you expect. There will be a range of times for firmware to apply to each bound network, usually 5-10 minutes between each network. I've never had a problem with template firmware changes. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
Conversationalist

I have had the same concern with our networks, They are scattered over a bunch of different time zones and the concern is that you cannot individually update them during optimal times as mentioned in another comment they update about 5-10 minutes apart. Meraki HQ has the ability to update individual devices (secretly found out while troubleshooting with them Smiley Happy ).  Since finding that out, I hassled them and they mentioned that this feature is currently in the pipeline but unable to give any insight as to when it will be available.

Kind of a big deal

There is a beta feature (which you can ask to be added to) for doing this but only with switches.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Other_Topics/Staged_Upgrades_for_Meraki_Switches

Kind of a big deal

@JamesV The updates should happen in the local time zone configured on each network. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
Conversationalist

I tried a while ago and it was all at the same time but a while ago is really a long while ago.
Its good to know that though thank you @MRCUR
A model citizen

We have had no issues around this. Albeit it is worry that if something goes wrong you could up having a lot of angry customers!

The only thing to note is that when there is a new firmware released all Organisations Admins get an email about them being applied and there is not way to change this. So whilst automatic updates are a good idea from one prospective from another you need to make sure all Organisations Admins are aware they may get an email.

Thank you,
Peter James

Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Points Contest
Join us for a month-long contest with heaps of swag to win!

Learn More ›