cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSP: want to get report for "billing start date"

Here to help

MSP: want to get report for "billing start date"

Hi,

I'm working for a MSP (specifically, an ISP). That means we're selling Managed Services based on MX appliances and other Meraki devices to our Customers.

One internal task is billing, of course: That means once the service is ready for use, we need to charge it to the Customer on a monthly basis.

But in order to get this done as accurate as possible, we need to know exactly the very first day when a Meraki device was "ready for use", e.g. first seen in the Meraki Dashboard or first contact to the Meraki controller. (The day after that date is usually referred to as the "Billing Start Date".)

Until now, I did not find any play in the Meraki Dashboard nor any command within the Dashboard API that I could use to create a report for my billing department.

Who can help with any kind of advice, idea, whatsoever?

Rgds,

Andreas E.

6 REPLIES
A model citizen

Re: MSP: want to get report for "billing start date"

Well....not sure I can help here but it might make it easier if you tell your customers the billing starts the moment they purchase it instead of the moment they start to use it. 

"Licenses start consuming time from the date purchased, not the date they are added to an Organization."

Assuming that solution won't work (just figured I'd mention it), I found another thread by @PhilipDAth talking about a solution https://www.connectwise.com

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Managed-Services/Connectwise-and-Meraki/m-p/10701

That might be something you want to look into

Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
Here to help

Hi Nolan,

I got the message (i.e. "Cisco or Meraki perspective first").

But as I mentioned, an MSP/ISP sometimes buys gear and/or licenses for stock. You simply cannot bill a Customer for gear/licenses on your stock which he cannot use before "ready for use" date.

Do you know by chance what kind of API has been implemented in the Connectwise solution?

With Kind Regards,

AndreasE

A model citizen

Understood =)

No clue on the API side, but I doubt it highly as the Meraki API solution is very much lacking a good many features.
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
Head in the Cloud

Hi @AndreasE,

I also work for an MSP/ISP and we don't have any ties between our billing system and the Meraki Dashboard. We rely on the same processes used for our other products to start billing, i.e. a work order to do the install is closed out. 

I don't believe you're going to find what you want in the dahsboard... The closest thing I can think of would be the "claimedAt" value in the getorginventory call:

https://api.meraki.com/api_docs#return-the-inventory-for-an-organization

Good luck! 

Here to help

I did not overhear Smiley Wink  Meraki is looking to move to a more friendly billing structure soon. Basically the license will start once it is added to your dashboard and not at the purchase date, but with a 30 day window. AKA you have 30 days from purchase date to add to your dashboard before the clock starts. Apparently enough people have been complaining about this issue that changes are in route, so keep adding to your wish lists. Its not a perfect solution but its a start

Highlighted
A model citizen

Hi @Cmiller,

Where is that information form? This is one of my pet hates; especially given the randomness in processing order times. Sometimes we have to chase our orders, but there is no formal escalation process (with SLAs) for this.

I have given up on the 'Make a Wish' system as it is quite frustrating when you see them re-inventing certain pages but not fixing outstanding issues on others. They also need to publish a changelog of the UI; so many times I have found changes (some good, some bad) that were snuck in. 

Sorry for the negative post! Should probably be my last one today.

Thank you,
Peter James