cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practices for moving a network from one Org to another while in production

Here to help

Best practices for moving a network from one Org to another while in production

I often demo Meraki equipment for new or existing clients. If they want to commit, I will set them up with a order# and create a new Organization within our MSP dashboard. Moving them while keeping the same equipment to a new Org is always a crapshoot and often means we need to run around and restarreset the hardware. 

Is there a preferred method of doing this such as device order (MX first, then MR and MS)? I usually try to wait 15 minutes from the time remove the serial numbers from inventory (unclaim) and claiming them in the new org. This goes easy enough but the devices often do not pull down the new config and become unresponsive at which point I need to fiddle with it. I've tried doing this in a lab environment and got mixed results.

Anyone have a reliable  step-by-step technique?

2 REPLIES 2
Kind of a big deal

Re: Best practices for moving a network from one Org to another while in production

Are you setting up separate organizations within your account?  Or separate accounts?

Could you setup the demo hardware in the "Demo" org to begin with and just rename it once ready for the customer to take over rather than shifting hardware between orgs?

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
Getting noticed

Re: Best practices for moving a network from one Org to another while in production

We always create a new Organisation for a new customer and assign the trial equipment to that Organisation. It also allows us to give them logins if they wish and a seamless route into production should they wish to continue. 

We have a separate demo Organisation that we show them stats and functionality before ordering any trial hardware,  but that's our own NFR kit and not used on customer sites except for a survey. 

Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.