reading Backpack documents on iOS

SOLVED
Frostie
Conversationalist

reading Backpack documents on iOS

Very new to Meraki 🙂

We have a small number of PDF documents we need to distribute securely and  I am trialing the use of Backpack.

I can see a document icon in the left side of the Backpack screen in the Meraki MDM app on the iPad.  If I click on the icon, all I see on the right is the name of the document and the type of document e.g 'Sales Pricing  PDF Document'.  How do I actually read the PDF? 

Acrobat reader is installed on the iPad.

If I share the document to Acrobat (Share, copy to acrobat) it reports that the document is corrupted or damaged - which I kind of expect.

What am I missing/doing wrong??

Cheers,

Frostie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jared_f
Kind of a big deal

I have just found that Meraki cloud hosting backpack just does not function 90% of the time and I have given up on it. Honestly, I have stopped submitting support tickets - I just feel like I am spinning in circles sometimes.

Find this helpful? Click the kudos button. Thanks!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
DCooper
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Are you providing a link or uploading the file? If your uploading the file are you specifying or autodetecting?

Frostie
Conversationalist

Hi,

I'm providing a link to a SharePoint file, and I am specifying the file type.

I have been able to open the document using the link in a web browser on a PC.

DCooper
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Is the link http or https?

DCooper
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

You may be running into an issue with step 6 at the link below. I would try to move it to Dropbox and follow the direct file link process on Dropbox website for a test. I am not sure how to do the equivalent on sharepoint.

https://documentation.meraki.com/SM/Profiles_and_Settings/Backpack_Setup 

Frostie
Conversationalist

Thank you.

Following the link has allowed me to place the document in DropBox and view it in the iPad from there.

Would anyone else know the solution (if there is one) for SharePoint files?

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

I have run into issues with Backpack and Dropbox. I am hosting my files in S3 on AWS. Hope that helps!

Frostie
Conversationalist

@jared_f wrote:

I have run into issues with Backpack and Dropbox. I am hosting my files in S3 on AWS. Hope that helps!

Ha!  We've only just got our users used to SharePoint! And that's taken 18 months....

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

I have just found that Meraki cloud hosting backpack just does not function 90% of the time and I have given up on it. Honestly, I have stopped submitting support tickets - I just feel like I am spinning in circles sometimes.

T_Spriggs
Conversationalist

Hahahaha, how is this the final answer? So the answer is that there is no answer and backpack just doesn't work 90% of the time (which has also been my experience with trying to use backpack)?

MDR17
Conversationalist

Additionally, for the iOS Meraki Backpack feature to function, iOS v9 and above now require the website hosting the shared documents to use TLS v1.2 for the HTTPS connection.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels