"Approximate location" text did not match map

ksebion
Here to help

"Approximate location" text did not match map

We noticed that the "Approximate location" text of one of our Windows computer in Meraki does not match the map shown under "Approximate location".
I saw the following lines in some json responded for the Meraki page about the computer:
  "lat": 41.5601121,
  "best_lat": 41.5601121,
  "lon": -87.6153588,
  "best_lon": -87.6153588,
  "location": "5871 W Monee Manhattan Rd, Monee, IL 60449, USA",
  "location_source": "wifi",
  "location_accuracy": 150.0,
Based on a quick look of the code in the page, I suspect only lat and lon or best_lat and best_lon are used in the map.
Is the suspicion correct?
How does Meraki determine what location to use for the map?

I had originally posted this in the smhelp forums on 7/12/2017, but, per https://community.meraki.com/t5/Mobility-Management/What-happened-to-smhelp-discussions/m-p/4448, smhelp posts were deleted.

6 REPLIES 6
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The answers depends on what is being used.  Is this from a WiFi client or a Systems Manager client?

Meraki Systems Manager Agent in Windows.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The link answers how the location is approximated (not why Meraki shows 2 different locations for the same device).

The dashboard shows "Approximate location" with an address.
Under "Approximate location", is a map.
The location in the map does not match the address.

My goal in this topic is to find out why the location on the map does not match the address next to "Approximate location".

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Oops, sorry.  Now I understand.

I've had this before when manually specifying an address.  What I do to fix it is copy and paste the address into Google maps.  Google Maps usually formats the address slightly differently, and then I copy and paste that back into Meraki.

Np. I have not manually specified an address though. As far as I know, an address had never been manually specified for the client in the dashboard.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels