ipad Config

Matthew99
Here to help

ipad Config

Hi All

i'm currently trialling Meraki SM and am trying to achieve the following and failing, we have ipads that are used for training events and have software on them that need re setting to achieve this manually we create a backup of the profile on the software, then restore via the software using backup and restore. 

is there a way i can have Meraki SM apply this restore

7 REPLIES 7
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You wont be able to have it auto-restore an iPad.  However you can have a profile that deploys apps and the likes.

Note that not every setting can be controlled remotely via an MDM.

@Matthew99  What you could do is simply use SM to uninstall the App's and then reinstall them. This could be done using tags. 

this might work, my only issue here is, and i know this may not be possible.....but how would i achieve this with a device that had software installed but was installed manually before being enrolled so it wasn't deployed via vpp and mdm, i'm guessing if i remove it via tags would i be correct in assuming because the license doesn't exist in apps i wouldn't be able to recover it and re deploy it - (i know i may have answered my own question here)

out of curiosity what is the flavour of settings that can't be controlled - i'm just curious as i'm still trying to figure out if we need to use dep or not, is there a deal breaking reason i should?

@Matthew99  Sm cannot manage app's that were preinstalled or installed without using VPP. I learnt this the hard way as iPads come preinstalled with iMovie and I wasn't able to get SM to update it as it wasn't able to be managed. 

My rule of thumb now is erase all iPads before configuring them. This is also a good way to remove preinstalled apps which the user might not need or you dont want them using. 

i figured that would be the case, good to get that out the way early in the testing thank you for the tip, do you use DEP at all? trying to work out if we need it what is the main benefit to it?

@Matthew99  Yes we use DEP, we have over 200 devices enrolled in the program. Basically it means out of the box you can configure a device without even touching it, basically the user turns the device on, as part of it being enrolled in DEP you can force the device to be managed so all the user has to do is connect the device to a wireless network and SM or whatever MDM you wish to use takes care of the rest. 

DEP is also helpful if devices are stolen, it mean you can pretty much brick them even if the device is erased it always links back to the MDM. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels