iPhone "Provisional Enrollment Failed"

DrPlumber
Here to help

iPhone "Provisional Enrollment Failed"

Hello! I've been manually enrolling iPhones/iPads into DEP and Meraki via Apple Configurator 2.7.1 - so far no issues. However, I just came across an iPhone 6s (same as the other models that are already enrolled) that is giving me problems when trying to Prepare it in Configurator. It gets to the stage (2 or 3) and then gives the following:

Provisional Enrollment failed.

The cloud configuration server is unavailable or busy. [MCCloudConfigErrorDomain – 0x80EF (33007)]

I've done a few Google searches on it, but am still coming up short on answers. Again, I'm following all the same steps and profiles that have previously worked with other iPhones that have successfully enrolled/etc.

EDIT: I am able to manually enroll it into Meraki, but it is of course showing up as unsupervised.

10 REPLIES 10
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@DrPlumber can you load the profile on the device without enrolling it in DEP and get it to work?

@BlakeRichardson - I am able to enroll the device into Systems Manager manually, but it's still showing up as unsupervised. These are all devices that had to be manually enrolled in DEP via Apple Configurator (and so far were successful), it's just this particular device that doesn't want to enroll in DEP (manually or otherwise) or some reason.

@DrPlumber You can add the devices into Meraki as supervised devices using configurator without them being in DEP. I have played around with this a lot as most of our iPhones are not enrolled in DEP but I wanted them supervised.

Screen Shot 2018-09-07 at 11.37.14 AM.png

@BlakeRichardson - ahh I see, interesting. Is there any downside to doing it this way? I mean it will clearly still show up as both Supervised and in Systems Manager, which is great of course. But I'm curious if you've noticed any adverse effects compared to devices that are enrolled in DEP. I can't thank you again/enough too for all the help!

@DrPlumber the main benefit of DEP is the device is locked to your organisation, which means if stolen and restored it will also reinstall the profile that you have chosen, their is no way around this so it means you can brick the device. 

I don't know why your device won't enrol properly. Can you ask the company you bought it from to register it into DEP or are they not able to do that?

alexis_cazalaa
Building a reputation

from my experience this year, this is happening when the device is already in someone's DEP.
check on ASM or VPP section of dashboard..

or try to know the history of this phone.

@BlakeRichardson @alexis_cazalaa this seems to be the most likely case. This device was purchased used 3rd party sadly, so there's not much else to be done I imagine. But, and please correct me if I'm wrong, it sounds like there's still a great deal of control over this device regardless, and it shouldn't cause any problems - does that sound about right? Thank you both for all your help!

@DrPlumber that could be the problem the device may have already been registered in DEP by the previous owner. You could give Apple a call and speak to the team that looks after DEP. 

I was able to use your work around; however, I am unable to locate the device in Meraki. The profile seems to have installed but device keeps prompting for itunes password, and doesn't appear in device list.

Any ideas?

Hey Haley - I don't have a solid answer sadly, but my best suggestions are to Systems Manager > Overview, and under Sync Status to manually resync each item you have connected. However, since you mentioned it's asking for a password; is it an iCloud/Apple ID password? If so, the previous owner/user will have to put their password in to sign out of the device (otherwise, it's locked until you do so).

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels