iPad in Lost Mode then loses Internet Connection

SOLVED
dirwin
Conversationalist

iPad in Lost Mode then loses Internet Connection

I had a student who reported his iPad missing.  I put the iPad into lost mode.  The student found the ipad, but could not immediately bring it to me in order to unlock the device.  The student restarted the device trying to get around the lost mode lock.  Now the device is not on the Internet.

Is there anyway to unlock the device without having to reset it via iTunes?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@dirwin If you have activated lost mode and it cannot connect to the internet you will need to restore the device. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@dirwin If you have activated lost mode and it cannot connect to the internet you will need to restore the device. 

@BlakeRichardson thanks for the information.  This is what I had to do, thankfully the device did not lose all of it's data in the process.

Take it to Apple, but make sure it's an Apple Store not an authorized Apple repair service. Apple won't charge for diagnostics but an authorized repair service will. Or try RecoveryTool Fix Recovery.

alexis_cazalaa
Building a reputation

you could try with the combo ( ethernet to usb adapter + usb to lightning adapter ) but even with this, sometimes it doesn't succeed.

@alexis_cazalaa unfortunately I do not have those adapters.  I will have to add them to my inventory.  That solution would be much quicker than restoring the device.

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

I would look into USB tethering. I believe it was released in iOS 11 last year.

Find this helpful? Click the kudos button. Thanks!

@jared_f wrote:

I would look into USB tethering. I believe it was released in iOS 11 last year.

This little tidbit was a HUGE help when used in conjunction with @BlakeRichardson's advice above!

We had a managed iPad Pro become disabled by a user entering the wrong lock screen code too many times.  Also rebooted, so it wasn't connected to WiFi.

To add a little more fun into the mix, the device profile also didn't allow pairing with hosts, so it couldn't connect to iTunes nor would a connection to Configurator erase the passcode lock (even though it's the same MacBook used to enroll the iPad into DEP/ABM).

For others who've never had the pleasure of working through this problem, the recovery steps we used were as follows:

1. Release device from management in Apple Business Manager account.
  2. Boot iPad into recovery mode. (not sure that's necessary, but it worked for me.)
  3. Connect iPad to MacBook Pro via USB-C to Lightning cable and enable Internet Sharing on MacBook via USB-to-iPad connection.
  4. Open Apple Configurator 2 and erase all content & settings of iPad.
  5. Again, in AC2, prepare iPad for MDM.
  6. Assign iPad to Meraki MDM Server in Apple For Business account.
  7. Proceed with set up on iPad and allow it to re-enroll in Meraki SM network.
  8. Reassign and push original settings to iPad from Meraki SM Dashboard.

Thanks again for the USB tethering suggestion.  That was the missing link that allowed the iPad to phone home to Apple and get released from management so we could re-image it.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels