cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iOS Updates Failing to Install

Highlighted
New here

iOS Updates Failing to Install

We have about 250 iPads deployed and I am unable to get them to update.

Most of them are on 12.4, the oldest is 12.2.

I hit update, it says "Installing OS" for a few minutes and then completes.

When I check the iPad, either nothing has happened or it has downloaded but is sitting there waiting to be installed.

Once it gets to the point of downloaded but not installed, I tried hitting installing again (via SM) and still nothing happens.

Most of these devices are behind Meraki gear, but since I'm working from home, I have one on my home wireless straight out to the internet and it still won't install.

I should have mentioned that these devices are DEP and supervised.

Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Kind of a big deal

Re: iOS Updates Failing to Install

@ZachL54 There is a bug forcing iOS updates remotely from what I believe, it doesn't fully work and requires the user to approve the update using the passcode on the device.

I ran into this same issue about 6 month ago.

Meraki CMNO, Ruckus WISE, Sonicwall CSSA, Allied Telesis CASE & CAI
Highlighted
New here

None of these devices have a passcode, but they are locked into a single app. 

Does that matter?

Thanks for your reply.

Highlighted
Kind of a big deal

@ZachL54  Yes each device will still get a popup requiring the user to confirm that update. The reason behind this I think is so that if say you roll out iOS updates to a large amount of devices, lets say your CEO is in the middle of presenting from their device in a very important meeting you don't scuttle there meeting because an update was forced on them.

I haven't been able to find a way myself to force iOS updates without having to touch the device. 

Meraki CMNO, Ruckus WISE, Sonicwall CSSA, Allied Telesis CASE & CAI
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels