iOS Updates Failing to Install

ZachL54
Here to help

iOS Updates Failing to Install

We have about 250 iPads deployed and I am unable to get them to update.

Most of them are on 12.4, the oldest is 12.2.

I hit update, it says "Installing OS" for a few minutes and then completes.

When I check the iPad, either nothing has happened or it has downloaded but is sitting there waiting to be installed.

Once it gets to the point of downloaded but not installed, I tried hitting installing again (via SM) and still nothing happens.

Most of these devices are behind Meraki gear, but since I'm working from home, I have one on my home wireless straight out to the internet and it still won't install.

I should have mentioned that these devices are DEP and supervised.

Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@ZachL54 There is a bug forcing iOS updates remotely from what I believe, it doesn't fully work and requires the user to approve the update using the passcode on the device.

I ran into this same issue about 6 month ago.

None of these devices have a passcode, but they are locked into a single app. 

Does that matter?

Thanks for your reply.

@ZachL54  Yes each device will still get a popup requiring the user to confirm that update. The reason behind this I think is so that if say you roll out iOS updates to a large amount of devices, lets say your CEO is in the middle of presenting from their device in a very important meeting you don't scuttle there meeting because an update was forced on them.

I haven't been able to find a way myself to force iOS updates without having to touch the device. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels