Windows 10 Profile & Agent duplicate devices?

SOLVED
WadeAlsup
A model citizen

Windows 10 Profile & Agent duplicate devices?

Hello everybody, 

I searched through to see if I could find a similar thread, but had no such luck. I'm setting up some new laptops for our Engineers. The few so far have both the Meraki Agent installed as well as connected to Meraki MDM (via Access work or school in Windows 10) for policies and future enhancements. From the Systems Manager > Add Devices > Windows it specifically states "There are two complementary device enrollment types for Windows desktop devices. Enrolling both an agent and a profile enables all available functionality. Enrolling one of the options may be better depending on the use case."

I currently have a few other devices that have been added this same way, however, I'm seeing duplicate devices in the Systems Manager dashboard client listing now for these newly enrolled laptops. Has anyone else seen this? Or will it clear up if I give it time? 

Thanks!

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below) and If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution 🙂
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
sshort
Building a reputation

@WadeAlsup my org hasn't delved too deeply into W10 devices in Meraki, however in my testing I observed:

-added profile first, installed agent second = 1 client appears in Systems Manager

-installing agent, then adding profile = duplicate entries

We're still using Active Directory to manage our PCs, so this hasn't been an urgent issue to resolve, however I would open a support ticket b/c all I could find in the documentation is what you mention.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
sshort
Building a reputation

@WadeAlsup my org hasn't delved too deeply into W10 devices in Meraki, however in my testing I observed:

-added profile first, installed agent second = 1 client appears in Systems Manager

-installing agent, then adding profile = duplicate entries

We're still using Active Directory to manage our PCs, so this hasn't been an urgent issue to resolve, however I would open a support ticket b/c all I could find in the documentation is what you mention.

Thanks @sshort, I have a GPO that pushes out the agent once domain joined locally and then installed the profiles. I'll try to uninstall/remove both and reverse the order as you have stated and see if that doesn't get me through the day. Then I'll reach out to support. 

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below) and If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution 🙂

We are seeing this as well but it's intermittent. Seems if we do the install agent first, then profile, we'll sometimes see duplicate entries, and then it clears itself up. For some systems, for whatever reason, it leaves the duplicates in.

Ran into errors trying to do profile first on a few test systems so just decided to go with agent first and sort out any duplicates that come up manually. Though it would be nice if there was an option to "merge" duplicates.

Not Solved!

I have reproduced this phenomenon on our production network, almost every windows 10 laptop produces two distinct device entries, these entries have different management capabilities so you need both the make the most of MDM.

But I cannot see how this could be an acceptable solution, its a kludge to me, but workable and messy.

Regards

Steve

No not resolve and ping pong with support for 2 months.

They can't reproduce the issue ....

There is something that I notice, the mac of the wifi is not the same on the 2 differents entries created.

On on entry it is correct on the other one the wifi mac is noted with BT mac !!

Sometime if fell that I am working at Meraki Support Team, It's very sad

If its a BT MAC you are seeing I wonder if the BT chipset in the machine is conntecting to the Wireless. Do you have AP's that support BT?

If you enrol a device with BT disabled do you still see the problem?

Public IP removed but same for both, yes I use MR access points, but Bluetooth not enabled on devices.

1st Device Entry

Network

LAN IP:192.168.110.121
Public IP:xx.xx.xx.xx
Wireless adapter:Killer Wireless-n/a/ac 1535 Wireless Network Adapter (v. 12.0.0.720)

2nd Device Entry

Network

Public IP:xx.xx.xx.xx
WiFi MAC:9E:B6:D0:FE:9C:BF
Bluetooth MAC:

-

aws_architect
Building a reputation

I also add the same today .

2 devices were enrolled properly .

the 3rd one , it was duplicated , the same way you described it .

not sure where is the bug 

puananiila99
Comes here often

I have over 100 duplicate teams at SCCM. Why does that happen? Some network problem?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels