Wifi disconnect with Randomized MAC settings

GabBlais
Getting noticed

Wifi disconnect with Randomized MAC settings

Hello, 

I've tested a bit the new deployment setting in the Wifi payload in order to correct my problems about randomized MACs. 

First of all, on iOS 13, if I deploy the payload for my network, the wifi cuts after a while and you need to reconnect manually and re-enter the password in order to connect. So if I deploy this to all my 13.* iOS (90% of my iPads), I'll need to reconnect manually everywhere or send a message to everyone about this.

On iOS 14, if I deploy the settings, the iPad ALREADY doesn't have wifi because of the randomized MAC that isn't accepted in our network. So I need to authorize the new MAC, then also ask people to reconnect manually on the correct SSID with the password so that the setting is deployed. 

For iOS 14, I can handle since I don't have a lot of devices on it. But is there a way to deploy the payload to iOS 13 without needing to reconnect ? I don't even get why it disconnects in the first place, I've got the same SSID name (auto join also), same security, same password and the "disable randomized mac" on the payload. Still, it just disconnects. 

What am I missing?

Thanks a lot ! 🙂

5 Replies 5
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@GabBlais I am assuming you are using MAC address filtering on your wifi, if you are then with the new randomised MAC you are going to have nothing but issues. 

MAC filtering isn't secure as MAC addresses can easily be spoofed. I woud suggest using another method of authentication i.e. 802.1X

We are using 802.1X on our main network for our domain computers but we have a second network for cellphone, Ipads and Smart TVs. This one is using specific MAC address and that also works well. My problem was more of "why does the Meraki Wifi payload cuts the network" or if I'm doing something wrong that make that happen.  

@GabBlais  Do you have the wifi payload combined with other device settings? If so Wifi settings should have their own seperate profile.

The reason being is if you update an all in one profile this can cause the wifi to drop off and not reconnect. Everytime you make a change to a setting EVERYTHING else related to that payload is refresh not just the settings you have changed.

I usually set, wifi, restrictions & everything else as seperate profiles.

@BlakeRichardson  yes I have a new Wifi payload deployed only for the wifi settings. I'm going to test a bit again in the week but if the wifi just keeps cutting I'll send a file to everyone showing them on which network to reconnect manualy for iOS13 since their MAC is going to be the same anyway. I'll play around with the security setting in the payload and if that doesn't change the problem I'll let that go. 

thanks a lot for your help ! 🙂  

Update : I deployed the setting on an Ipad test on iOS 13 for around a week, then pushed an iOS update for 14, thinking since the payload is already deployed, the setting should not move to "On". Nope, still going On and cutting the wifi off because of the private Mac adress. Either I'm not using the wifi payload correctly or its just not working that great at all ... 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels