When pushing Apps or App updates to iOS devices will they use Wifi or will they also use Cellular ?

Mark24
Getting noticed

When pushing Apps or App updates to iOS devices will they use Wifi or will they also use Cellular ?

When pushing Apps or App updates to iOS devices I am wondering will they prioritize WiFi or will it use the Cellular connection as well ? I am just concerned as I don't want to use up Data on our cell plans.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi Mark

I would think they would use Wifi if its enabled. If there is no Wifi connection but only cellular. It looks as though you can setup setting specific to cellular that might ease your concerns.

https://documentation.meraki.com/SM/Monitoring_and_Reporting/Cellular_Data_Management_with_Systems_M...

Thanks for this. I know we can monitor data usage but is there any setting so that users can only update apps over wifi?

This is for ios users

Regards

Rob

PeterJames
Head in the Cloud

I think this would need to a new feature in iOS. All that I can see (e.g. iOS Network Usage Rules) applies to the whole app and running/updating cannot be separate.

You could maybe use the Meraki Do Not Disturb (DnD) feature to force a certain profile on to the device at a specific time, then only carry out app updates during that window. It is a messy and far from ideal!

Thank you,
Peter James

PeterJames
Head in the Cloud

@BlakeRichardson is bang on the money with this!

For a point of reference a Wi-Fi download requires "a lot" less power so in both Android and iOS it will be the chosen method for any downloads. This is why when you have Wi-Fi enabled it will keep trying to find something. 

And this is strengthened by the link provided, in that cellular bandwidth is known to additional 'cost' more financially. Some apps default to Wi-Fi only until told otherwise for this very reason.

This is also why iOS gives any app 20 seconds to shut off, but it is killed to prevent such download or drainage in the background.

Thank you,
Peter James

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels