What data can be accessed by my company who use Meraki Mobile Device Management on iOS devices

SOLVED
tinkushal
Here to help

What data can be accessed by my company who use Meraki Mobile Device Management on iOS devices

Dear All,

My company uses Meraki Mobile Device Management for iPhones. I have enrolled in it and installed the profile on my mobile. The rights of the meraki profile which I see in my iphone are given below. I wanted to know if my company can access my personal data like email, whatsapp, photos, device location etc using Meraki Mobile Device Management. Also, can it keep a backup of my data? Thanks in advance.

Meraki.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm guessing it will be running in BYOD mode.  It can't access any existing apps, the data of those apps, and consequently can't back up those apps.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm guessing it will be running in BYOD mode.  It can't access any existing apps, the data of those apps, and consequently can't back up those apps.

As the device wasn;t enrolled via DEP as a supervised device you will be fine. Is there an actual reason you were asked to enrol a personal device i.e. was it so they could deploy paid app's to your device or did they just ask everyone to for the sake of it?

Hi, I was told to enroll a personal device or take a company device. I did not wish to use 2 phones so enrolled personal device. My organization has deployed Office email and some other apps including cisco on my phone. How do I know my device wasn't enrolled via DEP as a supervised device? 

Hi, thanks for the reply. How do I make sure it is BYOD mode? 

The only way to get it into DEP mode involves wiping the phone.  So you'd know if that has happened.

Okay thanks a lot. 

Hi, just curious, what all can be monitored using DEP mode? When I see online, it mentions that there can be additional restrictions which can be placed. What about personal data? Can it be accessed using DEP mode? 

You use DEP when the company owns the Apple device.  It gives the system complete control over every aspect of the device.

You were offered a corporate phone . . . .

Did you think you could decline, without consequences? 👀

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel

Hi, what do you exactly mean to say? Can you be more clear? 

@tinkushal wrote:

Hi, what do you exactly mean to say? Can you be more clear? 

As you said earlier, you declined a corporate phone.

Unintended consequences.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
T1
Building a reputation

Apple is very clear what MDM has access to. Texts, calls, photos, apps data etc are not accessible via MDM. Even in DEP mode you need something like Apple classroom just to see the screen of the managed device.

The original question was about BYOD enrollment, I believe, which doesn't allow for any kind of access to a phone.

New self service portal portal.meraki.com provides a good view what Meraki admins can see and do from the Dashboard. This scaremongering you started is really unnecessary.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels