Variable Support in Meraki MDM

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

Variable Support in Meraki MDM

Does anybody have an idea of when variable support will be coming to Meraki SM? We would like to place an asset tag on our devices using the "Lock Screen Message" payload in Apple Configurator and then upload it to Meraki. I was going to set it up like this: "Assigned to: "%last_name%, %first_name%  %ProductName%: %SerialNumber%". Once it is scoped out to devices it would fill the information from the device record in Meraki. For example: Jane Doe has an iPad assigned to her via DEP/Meraki - she comes into the scope of the profile and it will read "Assigned to: Doe, Jane  iPad: 123456789". 

I know other MDM's like SimpleMDM, Jamf Pro, Apple Server, Etc. support this. 

Thanks for any insight,

Jared

Find this helpful? Click the kudos button. Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5
PeterJames
Head in the Cloud

You need to look in to AppConfig. This allows settings, set via the MDM platform available to the iServe App.

This is available on the Meraki MDM. Under Systems manager > Settings > Add Setting: App Settings.

Example by Apple

I hope this helps.

Thank you,
Peter James

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

@PeterJames

AppConfig has nothing to do with the problem at hand. I am attempting to use the user information populated in the device record to fill information in a profile.

Please navigate to configurator (if you have it) > File > New Profile > Lock Screen Message

Currently I have to populate the user data for each user, upload the each profile to Meraki and scope it out. Not very automated. It is in the MDM framework to provide variables / "attributes" (as they are commonly referred to).

Jared

Find this helpful? Click the kudos button. Thanks!
beks88
A model citizen

@jared_f 

Have you been able to figure something out? Is it supported already? I'm struggling now with the same issue. We have customers who want to bind their macs to the AD and the profile should use the already authenticated AD user creds

beks88
A model citizen

OK, figured out how the AD binding works correctly, no need for user credentials, need just AD admin creds to bind to AD.

But would be still great to see an official support for variables in custom profiles

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels