Use MDM to limit usage of apps on iOS.

trunolimit
Building a reputation

Use MDM to limit usage of apps on iOS.

Hello World,

So I've set up MDM for our organization to use on iOS. Our CEO wants to use MDM to be able to limit the time spent on apps like facebook and youtube. He also wants the ability to somehow shut off access to those apps on command. 

is this at all possible?  

15 REPLIES 15
MikeMandalorian
A model citizen

I'm not sure about limiting usage on apps, but to block apps if your devices are in DEP/supervised you can block any App

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)

How would I do this? Also how do I prevent the deletion of an App?

Are you enrolled in Apple DEP ?

I thought I was but I guess not. How does one enroll in DEP?

https://deploy.apple.com/qforms/open/register/index/avs

side note> your Vendor will have to submit the serials into Apple DEP for them to be supervised 

https://documentation.meraki.com/SM/Device_Enrollment/iOS_Enrollment

What if the phones where purchased personally. Can we still submit them to be supervised? I've been trying to add a test phone but I get an error every time. Screen Shot 2019-03-04 at 12.45.10 PM.png

You can "manage" any device ,,   as far as DEP ( that is  where you get more control in Meraki ) , we have our Approved vendors submit them in DEP for us. I.E.  Sprint,Verizon, CDW

https://documentation.meraki.com/SM/Device_Enrollment/Enrolling_Devices

Get ready to go down the Rabbit hole on all this lol.  its totally worth it though 

This is crazy. All I want is to prevent the users from deleting the Meraki MDM app and preventing certain apps from being used on command. 

I got our CEO to sign up for the apple business and I've set up the DEP server. I don't think they will be happy when I tell my bosses we need to become an apple reseller in order to use the MDM to its fullest. 

Screen Shot 2019-03-04 at 1.00.32 PM.png

Don't think you would have to become a reseller,,,  if they are Company phones then goto the  seller  , Verizon,Sprint and  have them add the devices into DEP 

@trunolimit 

Contact your reseller, they should be able to add historical purchases into DEP for you. You will need to provide them with your DEP ID. 

Once you have this setup make sure that any future devices are enrolled at the time of purchase.

Going back to your first question you can either allow / block apps but you cannot do this on a timed basis its an all or nothing approach. If you are wanting to block after a certain amount of time you would need to look for a content filtering system that allows you to setup quotas. 

Good luck and if you have anymore questions just ask. 

Also you can supervise devices via apple configurator if you have a Mac handy.  I unfortunately have about 100 ipads at my school district I inherited with no proof of purchase that I can't get into my DEP but I can still provide the restrictions through settings profiles so long as you supervise the devices via configurator.  If you have access to a smart USB hub as well it makes things go a lot quicker (not sure how many devices you have)

Note that, in Supervised mode, the MDM Admin has control over most of the managed devices' functions.   Most employees will be unhappy to give up this level of control over their own devices (I certainly wouldn't allow it, personally).   Do you have Meraki networking devices and, if so, which?  (MR Access Points?   MX Security Appliance?)

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels