Updating VPP Apps over 4G/LTE

SOLVED
KB_Smoka
Just browsing

Updating VPP Apps over 4G/LTE

Often times when l try to push out VPP app updates to our users in the field they're met with a "blacked out" app icon and the update never finishes. Others get a faded app icon and the wheel that usually progresses as the update runs just freezes. None of this happens if the user is connected to Wi-Fi. I used to think this issue was from a poor 4G/LTE connection but I tested it on mutiple iPads with full bars/connections and it still freezes. Also, app updates via the App Store work fine.  These iPads do not have Apple ID's on them.

Just wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if I have a setting wrong...

Thanks for any help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@KB_Smoka Pretty sure by default Apple devices are set not to update / install apps using cellular. You will need to manually enable this on the device. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I've had phones (like Samsung) that by default don't allow updates over 4G.  So they get a trigger to do the update but don't actually do it till they get WiFi.

On Samsung this setting can not be configred via MDM, only via settings on the phone directly.

Interesting.  I will check in the iOS settings to see if something like that exists.  It used to work fine but somewhere during the last couple of iOS updates something changed.

@KB_Smoka Pretty sure by default Apple devices are set not to update / install apps using cellular. You will need to manually enable this on the device. 

Thanks for this! Once I made the change I was able to push the updates out.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels