Systems Manager license types

jelockwood
New here

Systems Manager license types

I have found an official document which discusses the types of licenses there have been for Systems Manager and this seems to be as follows.

1. Systems Manager Legacy (free) account - without newer functions
  2. Systems Manager Free 100 - possibly fully featured but limited to a maximum of 100 devices
  3. Systems Manager 30 day trial account - fully featured but expires after 30 days trail period
  4. Systems Manager with Licensing - fully featured works as long as you keep paying

The official document here - https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Licensing/Systems_Manager_Licensing implies I should be able to see what type of license my account is under. However I cannot see a licensing option anywhere when logged in to my account.

I would be expecting I have either the Legacy or Free 100 type account.

If I had say the Free 100 account then presumably I have access to all the features and would be able to use this existing account as a basis for seeing whether it meets my new requirements for which I would then need a bigger i.e. paid license. If I have the Legacy account then I would be definitely missing new features and would have to setup a new separate Trial account in order to make a fair evaluation.

How can I tell what type of account I have since the instructions seem to be incorrect?

10 Replies 10
WadeAlsup
A model citizen

Hi @jelockwood

What is your device count total in Systems Manager? I believe this would have determined whether you fell into Legacy (with > 100 devices) or into the Free 100 (with < 100 devices) when they changed the license model. 

See: https://meraki.cisco.com/blog/2015/03/one-systems-manager-to-rule-them-all/

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below) and If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution 🙂

I also have a personal dashboard I setup for testing. Under Organization > License info, it has a Systems Manager section to state the version. Maybe look there as well. 

smlicense.JPG

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below) and If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution 🙂

This is the problem both your suggestion and the official document suggest it should be shown as

Organisation -> License Info

However this is the nearest thing I see

Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 16.59.02.png

Is the 'real' Organisation -> License Info  hidden elsewhere?

"License info" would normally be where the "Upgrade" option shows in your dashboard (I imagine this shows for you as a Systems Manager only network). I would think that because it has an "Upgrade" option that it is probably a legacy network, but don't have any way to prove that. It could possibly show you what you have if you select Upgrade?

@WadeAlsup 

This is what the upgrade option leads to

Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 17.17.08.png

I also have access to a second Systems Manager system which I know is an older account and I know is a Legacy system and on that one I do see the Licensing option confirming that it is indeed a Legacy system.

I suppose this could mean the one I am querying about is a Free 100 account but you appear to have a Free 100 account and can see this option. Furthermore not only is my Organisation -> menu missing the licensing option but also some other choices even compared to a known Legacy account.

Quite perplexing @jelockwood. Sounds like a call to support might be in order? 

@WadeAlsup

Ah but being a free or legacy account I am not allowed to ring them Smiley Sad

Instead I am directed to use these forums.

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

I have three accounts that are SM 100 - I receive all the new features. If we do have to begin paying we will be switching to either Jamf or AirWatch. Meraki is great and I don’t want to sandbag it, but you guys are charging the same if not more for an MDM, even though great, does not have all the features Apple offers in their MDM framework.
Find this helpful? Click the kudos button. Thanks!
MikeMandalorian
A model citizen

Look under Organization>License Info ,, that is  where it tells me 

Hope this was helpful 

I am guessing that if you do not have an Organization > License Info option, as you have shown in your screenshot, that this may be a "Legacy" Systems Manager license in a Systems Manager only Network with no other Meraki devices/licenses.  But regardless which license type you have, let's consider it "unlicensed", otherwise you should see a License Info page.  Call into the Meraki Support team to confirm.  Even if you are unable to technically receive Support (on an unsupported version) they'll be able to confirm for you.  Do you have any other piece of Meraki hardware?  I'm guessing you have no physical devices in your inventory if you look under Organization > Inventory.  If you do have even a single piece of equipment (even a free AP you got from attending a webinar) that you can add to your organization inventory, you'll get that License Info page to show up.  And at that point you should also be eligible for email support.  

It is correct that with the latest licensing, Meraki offers a customer-initiated Free Trial, fully featured for as many devices as you need (even over 100) for 30 days with full support, and it's very simple to convert that to paid licensing model if purchased.  I'd agree with other posts (here and on other forums) that Meraki has understandably evolved the licensing model (to the only two options today, temporary free trial or paid version) as Systems Manager popularity grew along with the development and support teams.  If this is going to be for home/personal use for just a few devices, unfortunately there's really no SOHO (free) license option at this time.  Keep in mind while the only version is ultimately a paid one, it it one of the most full featured enterprise EMM products available, is 100% software so requires no on-site appliances, works with any vendor’s network infrastructure, there's no training required, and the licenses you do pay for are device agnostic, one license per any type of device with options for 1/3/5/7/10 year terms, and provides full email and phone support 24x7x365.  

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels