Sign in to iTunes to allow "ios.meraki.com"...

SOLVED
JG1
Conversationalist

Sign in to iTunes to allow "ios.meraki.com"...

I've got DEP setup, and my Meraki profiles, however on a brand new iPhone I get prompted to use an Apple ID to install the Meraki System Manager.

The message is:

App Installation

Sign in to iTunes to allow

"ios.meraki.com" to manage and install

apps.

Cancel | Sign In

Is it possible to deploy a phone and have the MSM app auto install without the user having to enter their Apple ID and password?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

Yes, you can do this with device based app licensing. This will allow you to silently install the app. You should "purchase" licenses for the SM app in the VPP store and then deploy it to devices making sure to select the device assigned licenses. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

Yes, you can do this with device based app licensing. This will allow you to silently install the app. You should "purchase" licenses for the SM app in the VPP store and then deploy it to devices making sure to select the device assigned licenses. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
JG1
Conversationalist

Ahhh... that is a wise solution. I will give that a try!

Thank you!

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

VPP is mandatory to have silent app installs. If you are setting VPP up I recomend you do user based licenses because they are easier to track and manage (in my opinion).

Jared

Find this helpful? Click the kudos button. Thanks!
LindseyM
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

@jared_f wrote:

VPP is mandatory to have silent app installs. If you are setting VPP up I recomend you do user based licenses because they are easier to track and manage (in my opinion).

Jared

I find the exact opposite. Device based licensing makes everything so much easier. Deploying devices without having to bother with getting an Apple ID onto them is great. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
jared_f
Kind of a big deal

I do user based licensing for apps like notability.

alexis_cazalaa
Building a reputation

if i remember correctly, supervision is also mandatory to use "silent" installation

I am new to this whole MDM (as of a week ago), so pardon me for my ignorance. I have several phones that the users don't want to put their own apple id onto as they have their personal phone. Do I need VPP to manage the apps I want on the phones this way?

Also, when I used VPP for a school system years ago, we had to create separate apple id's and thus separate emails for each device. Is this still the case or has that changed?

Thanks!
jared_f
Kind of a big deal

@Josh3 DEP and VPP are all now under "Apple Business". No Apple IDs are required for each device. You can use device based app installation and either make the apps available in the Meraki MDM app for the user to install or install them on demand.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels