Shared iPads in cart will not connect to WiFi

CHAadmin
Getting noticed

Shared iPads in cart will not connect to WiFi

I have a cart of 30 shared iPads I'm getting ready to deploy for students, and six of them stopped auto connecting to WiFi. I'm pushing two WiFi profiles via SM (one for the student network and one for the open network I use for backup and initial config and enrollment). There is no dialog box for joining a WiFi network, and the restrictions profile is set to whitelist networks configured via policy. Help please!

4 REPLIES 4
jared_f
Kind of a big deal

@CHAadmin Is it possible that the devices stopped communicating with your Meraki server - sometimes when that happens the WiFi profile becomes corrupted and the device will not join WiFi. Because you have the Whitelist profile on you will have to wipe them. 

Also, before doing this make sure students didn't disable the "Auto Join" feature in the WiFi menu!

~Jared

Find this helpful? Click the kudos button. Thanks!

I figured out a quick solution: 1 Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter + 1 Apple USB Ethernet Adapter = wired network connectivity to the iPad

The whitelist policy doesn't apply to wired connections (apparently) and once it connected the profiles refreshed.
mmmmmmark
Building a reputation

Very slick! Well done 🙂

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

I another community I surf sometimes said that method does not work, but I hope it does. While that whitelist profile is nice to stop students from joining hotspots in school, it can also be a pain!

I am wondering the following - you can only join managed wifi installed by a profile, would it be possible to add a wifi payload using Apple Config? Might be another work around. Going to give it a test and report back.

Jared

Find this helpful? Click the kudos button. Thanks!
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels