Scheduling VPN

SOLVED
Danjns
Here to help

Scheduling VPN

Hi, does anyone know of a way to be able to schedule device-wide VPN for an iOS client? I'd like to be able to enable a VPN during work hours (say 9am - 6pm) so that all traffic is managed by an MX at HQ. Then allow users to use unfiltered internet 'after hours'.

I'm guessing if it's not built into SM it might be possible with API and adding/removing tags... Anyone have any experience with this that can point me in the right direction?

Cheers!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@WadeAlsup Has it.

Meraki 'Time-Based Tags' documentation Link

This would require you to set up two profiles, once with restrictions and one with a difference. And then applying the restricted one during the times specified. I would definitely read this document 'Scoping Profiles and Apps'.

The only thing that needs to exist in the second profile is that one particular difference.

Thank you,
Peter James

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Danjns
Here to help

Bump

WadeAlsup
A model citizen

Hi @Danjns

I have not tried this myself, but I think you could create a Time-Based Tag in Systems Manager > Configure > General specifying the hours that you want. Then tie that tag to a SM profile containing your VPN for the devices. Then tag your devices with the time-based tag.

Let me know if that will work! 

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below) and If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution 🙂

@WadeAlsup Has it.

Meraki 'Time-Based Tags' documentation Link

This would require you to set up two profiles, once with restrictions and one with a difference. And then applying the restricted one during the times specified. I would definitely read this document 'Scoping Profiles and Apps'.

The only thing that needs to exist in the second profile is that one particular difference.

Thank you,
Peter James

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

I second @WadeAlsup and @PeterJames, time tags are the way to go. Just a tip - confirm that your Meraki sever is set to your local time. Ours was not when we started using time tags and profiles were syncing down at the wrong times. 

Find this helpful? Click the kudos button. Thanks!

Thanks!
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels