SM Setting Time Zone for Devices

SOLVED
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

SM Setting Time Zone for Devices

Hi, I am setting up a bunch of iOS devices and they are all using the default time zone when I want them to be using NZ time. Is there an option in Systems manager to set the time zone for certain devices. 

There must be a way because if I was doing this setup with someone remotely I should be able to have this set for them.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PeterJames
Head in the Cloud

@BlakeRichardson We had the same issue. We get around this by enabling 'Location Services'.

The Apple MDM Protocol that Meraki implement, does not have this feature yet.

Thank you,
Peter James

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm not sure - but have you configured the Network time zone that the devices belong to?

Plan-B.

Screenshot from 2018-01-18 12-21-54.png

I haven't set this on each device but surely there must be a way I can make a global setting for each device group.

I don’t believe you can set that for each device. 

Find this helpful? Click the kudos button. Thanks!

Me and @PhilipDAth are based in NZ. Happy to act as a contractor for a day and manually change the timezone on the IOS devices 🙂

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)

You had better use @MilesMeraki.  You might get upset with what I charge for changing the timezone on a mobile device.

My mobile devices pick up the time zone from the MNO they are connected to the first time they connect and this gets updated as the device changes time zones, or the summer time rules change.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
PeterJames
Head in the Cloud

@BlakeRichardson We had the same issue. We get around this by enabling 'Location Services'.

The Apple MDM Protocol that Meraki implement, does not have this feature yet.

Thank you,
Peter James

@MilesMeraki and @PhilipDAth I am able to change these myself I just feel I shouldn't have to for two reasons.

1. When I choose the region as part of the devices setup why can't it set the time zone to that region, its not like I'm going to say I live in NZ and want my timezone to be PST

2. If the MDM can set almost every other setting on the device why can it not set the time zone. It makes logical sense to be able to do this.

This is not a sole Meraki issue. Other MDM providers like Jamf and AirWatch struggle with the same thing -- probably an Apple limitation that is stopping the implication. 

I will submit a Make a Wish requesting this though.

Find this helpful? Click the kudos button. Thanks!

@BlakeRichardson As pointed out above, probably a limitation from Apple side. I'd make a feature request via Meraki and also via Apple if you have any inroads.

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions

Feature request done and contacting my Contact at Apple this afternoon. 

walkman
Here to help

Looks like this setting has been available for more than a year now:

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/devicemanagement/settingscommand/command/settings/timezone

Has Meraki added it yet?

vassallon
Kind of a big deal

Yes, there is an option in Settings to enforce automatic time zones.

No, this is about setting the time zone, not turning automatic time zones on/off.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels