Revoke device licenses from deleted devices Meraki

hd_IT
Comes here often

Revoke device licenses from deleted devices Meraki

Hello,

How do I revoke device license from devices I have deleted in Meraki?

I am guessing I shouldn't have deleted the devices before removing the apps, but would the licenses ever come back when the device removes the profile, or just over time, or are they gone?

I remember reading that VPP licenses hang around for a 30 day grace period. This was an apple thing.

I also set the the apps to revoke when falling out of scope. The device are definitely out of scope. 

Right now in systems manager / VPP / 10 licenses are assigned to 10 devices, but those devices are now gone.

Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
Kevin_C
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

@hd_IT  Please reach out to Meraki Support.  They can assist you with recovering VPP licenses.  

vassallon
Kind of a big deal

@hd_IT 

Sometimes if you try adding the app using the VPP licenses to another network it will force an update of the license count and clear the "in use" licenses.

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
hd_IT
Comes here often

Thank you both,

I am still having issues with this. 

It has dropped down the list of priorities, but it is still an issue. 

Surely these can be recovered, even if you didn't retrieve them properly when removing managed iPads, the licenses shouldn't be gone for good, you organisation owns them, I have never seen that warned anywhere on any MDM.

Meraki's guides on this focus on VPP users, not VPP licenses/Devices.

beks88
A model citizen

Have you checked the option "remove with MDM"? We get the correct license count even when just deleting the device.

Kate_H
Just browsing

I had the same issue and the following worked for me.  In the app listing, I clicked on "Revoke unknown device licenses" and "Refresh details" and then I refreshed the page and my license count went down and removed the devices that I had deleted.  I'm not sure which one of those actually did the trick, but it worked!

hd_IT
Comes here often

Hello,

I am wondering about "Revoke unknown device licenses" 

I want to remove all devices from Meraki at the end of the year. Then run the above.

Will this give a 'grace period' - or will they remove straight away.

How do I invoke the grace period for managed VPP apps

According to step 4, on page 4 here - there is a difference:

https://www.apple.com/au/education/docs/VPP_Education_Guide_EN_Oct13.pdf

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels