Removing existing access from Device

Fiza
Conversationalist

Removing existing access from Device

Just starting with Meraki MDM Systems Manager, apologies if I get any of the terminology wrong.  I have an Android device that already has Gmail installed and is already linked to our corporate email. The gmail app has emails already on it. When I deploy SM to the device the sync stops on the existing install of Gmail but existing emails in the app do not get removed. I can then deploy the managed version of Gmail and it syncs correctly. How would I ensure that the unmanaged version of Gmail on the device no longer contains emails?

Hope that makes sense!

6 REPLIES 6
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Factory reset the device and enroll it in device owner mode.

Fiza
Conversationalist

Thanks for the quick response. The devices I want to push SM to belong to Staff (BYOD) so won't go down too well if I ask them to factory reset!

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

In that case their will be two profiles.  If the "Work" profile is active then the Work apps will be be operating.  If they switch back to their private profile then the private apps will start working.

Fiza
Conversationalist

Not used work profiles before.  I can see the existing personal install of Gmail and I can see another install of Gmail with the work profile icon above it. The personal install of Gmail was linked to the corporate email system so already has emails in it. It is no longer syncing but its the existing emails in there that I want gone. We have many users that installed Gmail on their own devices which we now want to install work profiles on. The personal install of gmail still seems to have access to all emails previously sent before the work profile was installed.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Think of this like a virtual machine.  The personal profile can't touch anything in work profile, and vice versa.  The user can switch between the profiles at their will.

So you wont be able to touch anything in their personal profile using BYOD mode - including their email - even if it is using the corporate email system.

Fiza
Conversationalist

That is a shame. As we are late into the Management of devices all of our users have corporate emails on their devices. We can remove future access but not what they already have?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels